12TB HDD with Optane Raid crash

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Mehlsack

12TB HDD with Optane Raid crash

#1 Post by Mehlsack »

hey Guys,

I have a big problem, today my 12TBB Datadump which is connected with an optane drive crashed and dismembered itself...
After removing metadata und uncoupled of the two drives it was clear that a major amount of data is lost.

I started pulling individual Files with the help of Recuva, but found out about testdisk.
Therefore i started a deepscan, showing me the "new" NTFS partition (which idiotically made on the same drive) as well as two old FAT32 LBA partitions.

So far (8% into deepscan) it has not uncovered other partition (or the "real" old NTFS partition) i am looking for. Do you guys think that given the "complex" structure with optane drive and HDD it makes sense to try to rescue using testdisk, or shall i just fall back on using Recuva or something else to "just" pull the files out of there?

Yours sincerely

Max

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: 12TB HDD with Optane Raid crash

#2 Post by cgrenier »

TestDisk will only work if the RAID is correct.
If an utility lists your files, it usually safer to use it and backup your data than trying something else and to risk loosing your files for good...