can't open filesystem Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
testdiskuser

can't open filesystem

#1 Post by testdiskuser »

In trying to use testdisk to recover deleted files on a new dell laptop that's working fine but I encounter the message "testdisk can't open the file system", it may be damaged".

However i'm certain nothing is wrong with it as i've done a chkdsk on the disk and it's a new laptop a few months old with no issues. Anyone know if I may be doing something wrong, has had a similar issue or can offer any advice or guidance?

recuperation

Re: can't open filesystem

#2 Post by recuperation »

testdiskuser wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 18:40 In trying to use testdisk to recover deleted files on a new dell laptop that's working fine but I encounter the message "testdisk can't open the file system", it may be damaged".
Unsufficient description.
However i'm certain nothing is wrong with it
Your opinion (which unfortunately neither matters nor helps me in diagnosing) does not compensate for the lack of a description.
Cross-read the forum and you discover how a good description looks like.
as i've done a chkdsk on the disk and it's a new laptop a few months old with no issues.
You did not provide proof of what chkdsk did nor the parameters that you used when invoking chkdsk.

Please upload your logfile using the attachment tab.

testdiskuser

#3 Post by testdiskuser »

testdisk.log
(8.01 KiB) Downloaded 209 times

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Are you trying to recover files from your EFI partition?

You are not supposed to change partition types unless you know exactly what you are doing.
THE EFI partition is never NTFS so changing its type is nothing that brings back your deleted data.

Please read the documentation:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

testdiskuser

#5 Post by testdiskuser »

ok i've read it, I wasn't trying to change the partiton type, I was just trying to get to recover deleted files. Still don't know what to do to get to be able to list the files or to undelete them. I got it to work on two other pcs but those were intel partition, not sure where i'm going wrong with the efi partition but I'll figure it out evntually I guess.
Thanks for the input.