Can't figure out how to save recovered files with TestDisk

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
2015Millenium

Can't figure out how to save recovered files with TestDisk

#1 Post by 2015Millenium »

I can't seem to figure out how to actually select a directory to which to save the recovered files after recovering them. I've used the on-screen prompts, but there doesn't seem to be a means to access the external drives that are available to transfer the files to. I've selected a folder on the desktop of the laptop that I'm using but when I press 'C' to save the files it never saves them.

I know that I'm not the most experienced person using the software, but there's got to be a simpler way to get those files transferred and saved to an external drive. By-the_way, I'm not trying to save the file to the disk that I'm trying to recover them from. The drive is a Seagate Desktop Expansion Drive. This problem came about as a result of breaking the connector to the USB 3.O on the interface board of the drive. It was working fine prior to that. Now I'm simply trying to recover the data store on it. Both my XP and win7 machines can't seen to read the drive now that I've replaced the original interface board with a transfer kit that I purchased from Sabrent. The drive's original connection is an eSata type and the interface board allows it to be accessed via a USB 3.0 connection.

I can get TestDisk to find the data, but for some reason I can get TestDisk to see and to save that data to another identical Seagate Desktop Expansion Drive.

The on-screen prompt says to use the cursor keys to choose another directory, but it never shows that new drive in the list of available options. It is possible type in the drive letter and then to press 'C' and then to save the recovered files. At this point I'm a bit fearful that I might do the wrong thing and lose everything.

HELP!