Copy recovered file to another Device?

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
investigate101

Copy recovered file to another Device?

#1 Post by investigate101 »

Hi,

I'm new to using testDisk and linux... i'm very happy to say that i can find the files i'm trying to recover from my faulty external WD book. now my issue is that i'm trying to recover many files, and TestDisk doesn't seem to give me the option of copying the 'found' files to another device other than what i presume is the virtual linux (from usb). The USB actually has 64gb, but i seem to be running in a 'virtual' space of only 1.7gb.

So two problems.
1. if i could copy the files that TestDisk finds to another device (it does see other devices when i first start it.) but seems like it only allows me to copy it to that virtual space.

2. i don't know why i'm running in what i think is a 1.7gb virtual linux. I'm using Hiren's boot CD. Is there a way that if TestDisk can only copy to the OS'es device, then how can i make that virtual space bigger from the get go? i have a 64gb usb drive that it doesn't seem to be able to use!

thanks for your help!
Terry

investigate101

Re: Copy recovered file to another Device?

#2 Post by investigate101 »

can anyone help? i'm sure this has been encountered before!
tx

dsmith00

#3 Post by dsmith00 »

I had the same problem. I had to recover data from an internal drive and wanted it to go to an external USB hard drive. I couldn't find a solution on the web. So after a couple of days thinking about it I came up with this: I created a new folder on my external drive and named it "recovered files"...or whatever name you want. I then created a link to that folder on my desktop...then all you have to do in photorec is to navigate to the folder on your desktop that is now linked to the folder in your external device.

I hope that helps.

-david

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Under which OS are you when using Hiren's Boot CD ? Freedos, Windows, Linux ?

investigate101

#5 Post by investigate101 »

using Hiren's Boot CD.

couldn't get back to dealing with the recovery.. but going to try again tonight.
as mentioned, i can get the files back on the 4gb space it seemed to create, but i have over 500gb to recover. so that isn't practical.

investigate101

#6 Post by investigate101 »

dsmith00 wrote:I had the same problem. I had to recover data from an internal drive and wanted it to go to an external USB hard drive. I couldn't find a solution on the web. So after a couple of days thinking about it I came up with this: I created a new folder on my external drive and named it "recovered files"...or whatever name you want. I then created a link to that folder on my desktop...then all you have to do in photorec is to navigate to the folder on your desktop that is now linked to the folder in your external device.

I hope that helps.

-david
i'll look into what you are saying, but i don't recall being able to access the external drive i added for which to copy the files from the defunct drive. it only gave me access to this weird 4gb of space.