Recovering deleted files from Android phone.

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tamig

Recovering deleted files from Android phone.

#1 Post by tamig »

Hi guys.

I am new to the forum and hope someone may be able to help.

I'm not the techiest guy - so please bear with me. I accidentally deleted my Camera folder on a Samsung Galaxy S2 a few days ago. Since then, I've been frantically trying to recover the deleted files. I should add that the phone does not have an external memory card - all data is stored on the phone itself. I tried Recuva initially and managed to pull all the files back, but they cannot be viewed. I now want to try PhotoRec but do not know if this even works on Android devices. Could someone please confirm?

Also, the PhtoRec software does not seem the simplest to use so any help explained in simple terms would be much appreciated.

Is it possible for me to recover my deleted photos with PhotoRec or is this a non-starter?

Thanks,
Tom.

Fiona

Re: Recovering deleted files from Android phone.

#2 Post by Fiona »

It's interesting that you can recover data from an internal sdcard using Recuva.
Normally internal memory is protected and it's not possible to access it through normal datarecovery software.
I've tested it using my tablet samsung galaxy tab 2, my phone motorolla atrix, and it didn't work.
I've tested both.
Recuva and Restorer Ultimate.
restorer.png
restorer.png (126.28 KiB) Viewed 55367 times
Restorer displays my tablet as usb device and zero bytes.
Please, let me know how did you recover data from an internal card of a phone, using Recuva?

tamig

#3 Post by tamig »

Hi Fiona. My phone was identified as an external storage device once I activated USB storage on the phone. I was then able to see the DCIM folder with the Camera subfolder. Recuva scanned the Camera subfolder and identified my - what appear to be - deleted files. I say my deleted files as the naming convention was exactly the same as the original files before deletion. However, no file previews were available and none of the files would open - missing file header being the most commonly displayed message.
Thanks,
Tom.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

What have been the results with PhotoRec once you have enabled the USB mass storage on your phone ?

tamig

#5 Post by tamig »

Hi. This is where I was hoping for some guidance. After downloading PhotoRec I have a list of files which I do not not know what to do with to be honest. Is there an easy guide that can walk me through the process? Until I get PhotoRec up and running I am not able to scan the phone. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
Tom.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#6 Post by cgrenier »

helengreen777

#7 Post by helengreen777 »

As a careless person,such as I,many Android mobile phone users are not careful to delete their SMS text messages and Contacts, or lost photos and videos after restoring factory settings, flashing ROM, rooting, etc., from SD cards inside Android mobile phone.After formatting the the SD card on your Android,you may lost photos from the SD card on your Android phone.
Please don’t worry now! Actually, all you lost data are still on your Android phone or SD card for Android.You can’t find the lost files back without recovery tool. The only way is to use a Android data recovery software so that you can get back deleted files from Android mobile Phone, like SMS,Contacts or Photo&Video. Before I try to use a few similar function of the software, but the effect is not ideal, through the friend introduction later I used the software Samsung Android Phone Recovery.

tamig

#8 Post by tamig »

So did that recover your lost files? I only managed to get some thumbnails of my photos back along with hundreds of thumbnails from old web pages. Ive accepted that my photos are gone now.

davidelliott

#9 Post by davidelliott »

Recovering deleted files from Android phone is not different to do. In fact, I just help my friend to recover his lost photos and contacts from Samsung with the help of Android File Recovery.

JudyGunter

#10 Post by JudyGunter »

Myjad Android Data Recovery software can examine all of the areas on your drive marked as empty and work out what types of file used to be there. If a complete file can be found it can reconstruct it as though it had never been deleted. With some file types, such as images the software will attempt to recover as much of the picture as possible, even if sections of it have before permanently lost.
Last edited by JudyGunter on 10 Mar 2014, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.