inode_nnnn filenames on all files

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Deltagande

inode_nnnn filenames on all files

#1 Post by Deltagande »

First thank you for taking the trouble to create this program, which has good reports from everywhere.

I have the following setup. My main computer is running OSX Mavericks (10.9). On my router I have a USB disk with, I believe an NTFS partition. I had a directory on the router disk called Cloud, which was intended as the family's personal Cloud. I made what I thought was a symlink to this directory on my main computer. The procedure did not appear to go successfully, and I deleted the symlink, which apparently deleted the directory on the router disk.

Now I am trying to recover the files on the router disk, which I have connected to my computer rather than doing everything over the network. When I list deleted files, each of them has a name inode_nnnn, I can see the dates of the files, and some indication of the size, but I have no idea which is which. I do not get the easy file name and directory structure in the wiki.

I have three questions.

1. My router used some variant of linux. Can I connect the disk to a linux box and hope to see the file names?

2. Can I run testdisk over the network, so that I reattach the router disk to the router and try to recover from there? Since the target disk must be unmounted, this is presumably not feasible.

3. What other alternatives do I have which may allow me to see the file names?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Deltagande

Re: inode_nnnn filenames on all files

#2 Post by Deltagande »

Replying to my own post with an update.

I connected the router disk to my Ubuntu box and had the same result - all the recoverable files had names like inode_nnnn. However, I saved the files to another disk and began to examine them. Some of the new copies had icons indicating that they were pdf files, or odt and ods files from LibreOffice. Others had small items of text on the icons. Some of these proved to be text files, others inopenable, presumably damaged old files. In most cases the system was able to suggest a likely application for opening the files. There were, for example, two meditational music videos, for which VLC was suggested, and a couple of mp3 files.

All in all I've been able to recover all my lost files, some in more than one copy! I have just checked, and this method of letting the operating system select the application would work on my Mac also. So there you have it.

Could be interesting to know why all the files had the inode_nnnn filename, but it's more of academic interest.

Once again, thanks for a good program. The cheque will be in the post.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: inode_nnnn filenames on all files

#3 Post by cgrenier »

The inode_nnn files are ext2/3/4 superblock copies. You can ignore them.