recovery after diskpart clean Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
disknewbie

recovery after diskpart clean

#1 Post by disknewbie »

Hello all,

While trying to install Windows on a GPT system I accidently did a disk clean. Though I believed it would do it for a partition only, it did it for the entire disk. I found out from the forum at https://superuser.com/questions/1001110 ... part-clean, that recovery is still possible and stumbled upon this place.

Can someone please suggest how can I recover the data? Prior configuration was 2 partition (250 GB with Windows installed, 750 GB with data - which is the one I am concerned about). I did a format of the Windows drive with 250 GB and when i tried installing Windows I could not due to it being a GPT type. Thus I tried diskclean. After doing diskclean, I see a single partition of 932 GB. I haven't made any further writes to it.

I just need some expert's guidance so I don't loose anything at all. This data contains pictures of my grandmother who passed away in October last year, and I literally cried when I found out 750 GB drive is gone. Stackoverflow post gave me some hope but it did not have detailed instructions. I would really appreciate if some expert can really help me out to get the data recovered.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: recovery after diskpart clean

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Read chapter "Recovering deleted partition using TestDisk" from https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Good luck

disknewbie

#3 Post by disknewbie »

Hi, Thanks @cgrenier . Quick question, to use Disk Clean, I have created a live USB . Planning to boot from Ubuntu and install TestDisk using the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install testdisk
. Can you confirm if I should use this approach before proceeding to step 9.2 in the guide shred by you ?

disknewbie

#4 Post by disknewbie »

Hi, Thanks @cgrenier . I created a live USB and booted from Ubuntu and install TestDisk using the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install testdisk
I was able to follow till step 9.6 Pls see attached image.
rsz_screenshot_2017-03-24_141729.jpg
rsz_screenshot_2017-03-24_141729.jpg (91.85 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
I had 2 partitions prior to clean. Partitions were 250 /750 GB respectively. Don't see them here. Can you pls check and suggest how to proceed further ?