'login: illegal option -- S' message pops up whenever i open photorec.

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
charlizzle

'login: illegal option -- S' message pops up whenever i open photorec.

#1 Post by charlizzle »

Hi,

so today I accidentally formatted the SD Card on my phone, so now I have lost about 5GB worth of pictures. I have spent the entire evening trying to recover it, however nothing seems to work. I have come to the conclusion that TestDisk/PhotoRec the best solution is and it is free. Whenever I try to open it instead of going to the window where one would usually have to log in or decide what they want to recover this message always pops up:

" login: illegal option -- S
usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]

[Process completed] "

I am not sure what to, I have looked everywhere but I have not yet come across a someone else that has struggled with the same problem. I have attached a picture of it as well, whenever I try to open TextDisk the same message appears. Fyi I have a MacBook Pro and I cannot edit the text there.

I really hope that someone could maybe help on what to do and how I could recover it, because honestly want/need those pictures back as soon as possible and I don't want to spend a fortune on some other program either that will probably not do the job as well anyways.

Hope that someone can help me somehow... Thanks in advance. :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 23.16.50.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 23.16.50.png (46.37 KiB) Viewed 2114 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: 'login: illegal option -- S' message pops up whenever i open photorec.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you start a Terminal, use "cd directory_name" to go in testdisk-7.1-WIP directory and start "./photorec" ? The commands are case sensitive.
To know the current directory, use "pwd" (print working directory) and "ls" to list the files in the current directory.