I can copy but I cannot save

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
auie

I can copy but I cannot save

#1 Post by auie »

Hi everybody :-)

I erased my harddisk unintentionally. Testdisk shows that it contained approx. 4000 files. My problem is that I cannot save all the files.

I can select few files and when I copy them, only a part of them are copied and saved. When I come back to the list of files, some of them are selected and some are unselected (those which have been copied). When I select all the files, it lasts approx. 20 minuts to copy all of them but nothing happens after they have been copied. Please, what should I do?

PS: This message cancels the first one.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: I can copy but I cannot save

#2 Post by cgrenier »

File selection only works for a single folder. If you change of directory, you will have to make your file selection again.

auie

Re: I can copy but I cannot save

#3 Post by auie »

Thank you very much Christophe for your answer,

But I might not have been clear. I have Testdisk 6.14 on Kubuntu 14.04.

You wrote that file selection only works for a single file, but it is possible to select more than one file as
- "C is to copy the selected files",
- "a is to select all files" and
- this video shows at the moment 4:43 that several files are being selected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exq-aWBmRyI

My question is please, how can I undelete all the files, or at least several files of the same folder?
- When I select all files and I press C, the files are copied (written in red on the top left) but nothing happens after that.
- When I select 5 files in the same folder and I press C, the next screen asks me where I want to save them, I choose a folder and press C but no file is saved and the next screen is again that where I have to choose the file that I want to undelete.

Please, do you understand my problem?