Suggestion: sector number range parameter

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
orbitrar

Suggestion: sector number range parameter

#1 Post by orbitrar »

Hi
I just used photorec to recover around 700gb of data on a TB hard drive. With TB hard drives being ubiqitious for the last, what, 7 years, and them being thoroughly superseded by drives 2 and 4 times as large, deep scans take a HELL of a long time.
Too long, I think, to reliably do in 1 session. You need to leave the machine running for days, not hours. Numerous times I had to restart, and I wasted time and got duplicate values.
I kind of circumvented this by splitting my drive with a broken file system into partitions of around 100 gb, and searching partition by partition. But this seems like an inefficient way of doing it.

I'm a programmer by vocation (Java, unfortunately. I don't know C as well as I'd like or I'd alter the source code myself) so I try and suggest functionality that's both useful and simple to implement.
My suggestion:
When you go to do recover files, give the option to specify a range of sectors, for example 1000000 to 4000000.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion: sector number range parameter

#2 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec lets you resume recovery, it stores a file named photorec.ses for this purpose