Synology file recovery 2 disk raid/SHR

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
stinky510

Synology file recovery 2 disk raid/SHR

#1 Post by stinky510 »

Hello,

Found the testdisk and photorec software after folders and files disappearing off my Synology NAS lastweek.

Not sure what happened, the directory was renamed accidently. Upon renaming back some folders (over 200) were now not there.

An hr later the whole directory was gone so I quickly unplugged the NAS. Virus scanned all the machines accessing the NAS etc nothing found.

SInce then have booted and mounted the raid drives onto an old PC running off Ubunto boot disk (have used this before to get files from drives from the NAS)

I ran Photorec and it found 100K + files so have saved these to a usb disk.

A friend told me to try the testdisk as well. This finds the raid drives as raid or as individuals. Do a quick check etc I can list files, it lists the missing folder but its read, if you go into this it says no files found could be damaged I think it says. Can I run anything more with test disk or do we have to wade through the 2000 folders photorec has found for me? the superblock 0 appears to be found and I ran a deeper search but should this give me options at the end?

Anyhelp would be appreciated even a no you can only repair from the photorec files.

If this is the case is there further software to help organise the files?
Thanks

Ryan

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Synology file recovery 2 disk raid/SHR

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Some tips to sort the files recovered by PhotoRec as listed in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Under Linux, you should try fsck to check and repair the filesystem.