After Deep Scan, CHAOS

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
VaniNY

After Deep Scan, CHAOS

#1 Post by VaniNY »

Hi, my Windows installation fell apart suddenly on the 13th taking with it all access to my Window ISO installations file. :shock: :shock: :shock: I trusted a tech in a store have access to my computer and HE COMPLETELY WIPED OUT MY HARD DRIVE WITH A NEW INSTALLATION!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: The new installation is GPT and completely wiped out the two partitions I had previously set up on the internal hard drive. The technician claimed that he thought that the hard drive on this 2013 computer was empty...! And refused to take any responsibility for my TERRIBLE LOSS. I have VERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS on this hard drive and my life will be considerably more difficult if I cannot recuperate those documents. I tried to recuperate the lost files using RECUVA and Photorec but neither was up to the task and the files have not shown up.
I decided to try to recover the old partitions and performed a Deep Scan using Test Disk. But the result, (which took about 18 hours) does not show any NTSF partitions. I am seeing several (18) partitions listed and NONE are labelled in such a way that I can understand or intuit what they are about. They are all MS Data as opposed as what I was hoping for, which is of course, NTSF. I am now using the same computer to write this and have avoided installing any software. So I don't have a way to send a screen snap shot. If there's anybody out there who knows their stuff and can help, HELP!
Last edited by VaniNY on 15 Aug 2018, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: After Deep Scan, CHAOS

#2 Post by cgrenier »

As the disk has been reformated, when using PhotoRec, you need to enable the expert mode in Options.
Select the PhysicalDrive and start a search on [Whole Disk].

When using TestDisk, you can select any "MS Data" partition, the last line will display something like NTFS, exFAT... You can also try to list its content using the key 'P'.

VaniNY

Re: After Deep Scan, CHAOS

#3 Post by VaniNY »

Thank you very, very much. I am so grateful that someone was able to reply so promptly. I will get on that right away. Wish me luck!