disk to small and No partition found or selected for recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
nordwind

disk to small and No partition found or selected for recovery

#1 Post by nordwind »

Win10 prof/64 – sandisk SSD extreme pro 960GB

Hello and good morning to all!
I´m new at the forum and need help.

Some days ago – after windows update from 2019/03/13 – my PC no longer didn´t work properly. So I decided to make an acronis trueimage-recovery from an external device. Unfortunately I made a mistake and stopped the recovery after ca. 5 seconds, because I thought, that I selected the wrong/older image from list. Bad mistake.

This 5 seconds were enough to destroy the function of my SSD. Computer isn´t bootable because of missing OS. I tried to repair it with the acronis rescue media but it didn´t work. An error message appears that acronis isn´t able to make the device bootable.

Using testdisk I got these results - please notice attached screenshots (chronological)
testdisk1.PNG
testdisk1.PNG (63.42 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
testdisk2.PNG
testdisk2.PNG (66.8 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
testdisk3.PNG
testdisk3.PNG (55.5 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
What means mac HFS? There was no contact with apple/mac. And no...-the disk isn´t too small. :?

For me the problem isn´t a matter of data recovery so I had two acronis images on external drives. I hope that it is possible to make the disk healthy again, so that acronis will accept it. I´really would like to avoid installing windows again.

Thank you in advance for help and advice!

Testdisk log stated below as attachement.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: disk to small and No partition found or selected for recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you had a backup from before the problem, why can't you restore it ?
Even if you stopped the recovery after 5s, you should be able to restart it again from the beginning.

recuperation

#3 Post by recuperation »

Hello nordwind,
An error message appears that acronis isn´t able to make the device bootable.
I use an older version of Acronis TrueImage as well.

There are two possible explanations:
Either Acronis gets confused by the broken partition info or Acronis fails to write to your SSD.
To exclude the second case you should check the health status of the SSD.
With regards to your existing backup you might try to completely erase the SSD in question.

nordwind

#4 Post by nordwind »

Hello,

at first I try to complete my post with the missing information: 3 more screenshots from the analysis-process and the testdisk.log and the acronis logfile from the failes recovery. Hope that this will make things clearer.

Ok, at the moment I realized that there is no option to add testdisk.log (86 pages!) and the acronis logfile as attachments. Here are links to the logfiles:

https://www69.zippyshare.com/v/Idh38dze/file.html
https://www90.zippyshare.com/v/hAjbkyeK/file.html

testdisk4_ende1.PNG
testdisk4_ende1.PNG (51.41 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
testdisk4_ende2.PNG
testdisk4_ende2.PNG (68.84 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
testdisk4_ende3.PNG
testdisk4_ende3.PNG (42.36 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

nordwind

#5 Post by nordwind »

cgrenier wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 06:49 If you had a backup from before the problem, why can't you restore it ?
Even if you stopped the recovery after 5s, you should be able to restart it again from the beginning.
Hello Christoph,

as far as I know the 5 seconds were enough to delete the boot sector (and more?). Believe me, I tried it several times. If you like please have a look at the acronis-logfile. acronis was´nt able to make it bootable??? Bios-number wrong? Whatever that means and whatever caused this mistake.

nordwind

#6 Post by nordwind »

recuperation wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 11:31 Hello nordwind,
An error message appears that acronis isn´t able to make the device bootable.
I use an older version of Acronis TrueImage as well.

There are two possible explanations:
Either Acronis gets confused by the broken partition info or Acronis fails to write to your SSD.
To exclude the second case you should check the health status of the SSD.
With regards to your existing backup you might try to completely erase the SSD in question.
Hello recuperation,

unfortunately I do not understand whats going on and I had no knowledge about HDD/SSD problems. But only some days ago I checked the sandisk SSD with the sandisk programm and SMART. Everything was fine until I made this silly mistake. :oops:

What happened when I erase the disk? Then I lose the partition structure? I´m afraid that acronis will not accept the disk after that. My mainproblem is, that I really don´t like to rebuild win10 and all programs with all settings and special improvements and so on.

@all: Thanks for reading and input!

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

Hello nordwind,
nordwind wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 19:11
cgrenier wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 06:49 If you had a backup from before the problem, why can't you restore it ?
Hello Christoph,

as far as I know the 5 seconds were enough to delete the boot sector (and more?). Believe me, I tried it several times. If you like please have a look at the acronis-logfile. acronis was´nt able to make it bootable??? Bios-number wrong? Whatever that means and whatever caused this mistake.
you might consider submitting your Acronis report to the Acronis support, because they are the experts for Acronis products. :geek:
You are in the lucky position of having at least a backup which 99,9% of all help seeking people do not have.
Restoring the Acronis backup is the rational thing to do!
Hello recuperation,

unfortunately I do not understand whats going on and I had no knowledge about HDD/SSD problems. But only some days ago I checked the sandisk SSD with the sandisk programm and SMART.
Your outdated SMART status is simply useless. No need to refer to it. I told you what to do.
Everything was fine until I made this silly mistake. :oops:
The reason for your problem is irrelevant.
What happened when I erase the disk? Then I lose the partition structure? I´m afraid that acronis will not accept the disk after that. My mainproblem is, that I really don´t like to rebuild win10 and all programs with all settings and special improvements and so on.
@all: Thanks for reading and input!
If you erase the disk you loose everything on your disk. If you did your backup the right way Acronis will succeed in restoring your backup. If you have doubts about your backup, get yourself another healthy HD and try out the restore operation.

By the way, there is no use in converting the testdisk log-file into a pdf-file.
If your log is too long you can put it in a zip or 7zip archive and simply attach it to your post.
There is no need to use some external ad throwing file hoster where your file may have already disappeared tomorrow.