C: became E: OS split between 2 invalid partition table entry

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
TroubleShot

C: became E: OS split between 2 invalid partition table entry

#1 Post by TroubleShot »

Hi there everyone,

This is my first time I have posted here.

My pc crashed due to the normal power surge when coming out of hibernation. But this caused some issues:

1) Partition Table Repair.
2) BCD corruption.
3) No OS found.

... with the pc only booting into WinRE. What has happened is the c: drive has been re-partitioned into e:, but e: is not really a partition, perhaps created by chkdsk holding most of the OS (system32 in the directories: found.000>dir0000.chk where dir0000.chk is the only corruption, as the the corruption occurred at the file system level or ...) and all the other files; e: it also an invalid partition entry, yet dispart recognises it. I would like to correct this and know if chkdsk actually created it, if not want that did if you are aware?

My question is can testdisk repair the partition table in this case? I have tried once already, this caused boot problems, used bootrec then it was unstable for a while but quickly returned to its' original crash state. When p is selected for e: to check the files testdisk crashes. However, the structure is ok, no double entries exist and all entries are in green. All I did before was remove * on bootable primary c:. Then re-wrote the partition table, as not much else seemed possible; plus this is easy to change back later. Which I did, but now OEM partition (recovery partition not using) has been assigned f:, that returns on reboot if removed in diskpart.

If the partition table can be repaired that would be good; I am aware I have a lot to do if possible and re-installation would save time.

Any ideas?

:)

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: C: became E: OS split between 2 invalid partition table entry

#2 Post by cgrenier »

It may be safer to use testdisk to copy the file you want to recover and reinstall your OS.