Recovered drive and partition with testdisk but no files

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ght340

Recovered drive and partition with testdisk but no files

#1 Post by ght340 »

Hi,

I'm running windows 10, have a C: drive with my windows, then a Storage (D:) drive that was 2 SSDs intel raid 0.

I accidentally swapped the drive order in my bios and my raid failed. I moved the drive order back to default, and recreated the raid. I am 90% sure I picked the right strip size (can this be my issue?).

I ran testdisk and it found a small HPFS - NTFS partition. Running a deep scan found my Storage (D:) partition. I recreated the Storage (D:) partition and restarted.

On reboot, the D:Storage drive came up, along with the three top level directories. 2 of them are empty, and 1 of them has about 2 dozen really old files. All of the directories ask for permission to access.

In 'This PC', Storage (D:) The storage says it has 250GB of data on it, but I don't see any files. Are they hidden some how via permissions, or is my data gone? Do I have any other options?

Thanks all for the help. I'm getting desperate, all of my kids photos. T.T

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovered drive and partition with testdisk but no files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Modify the file explorer settings, Windows hides by default system files including a directory with a name like found.000 where chkdsk stored the recovered files.
If you didn't find your data, you can always use PhotoRec (choose [Whole] instead of [Free]), be careful to store recovered files on another partition than the source.