Partition shows as RAW in diskpart

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Tinribs

Partition shows as RAW in diskpart

#1 Post by Tinribs »

Hi
Win10 64x
Keeps running repair on boot. In cli diskpart shows the partition as RAW. If I try to change to C: I get the error "the file system is corrupt and cannot be accessed"
If I boot into Fedora, run up a terminal session and install testdisk I am able to list the files on the volume (as can I in the Fedora file explorer)
When I do the Advanced option and repairBS it tells me there is nothing wrong and I can list the files but when I reboot it still doesn't work.
The how to PDF lists this as the things to try:
• Run bootrec.exe /fixmbr from the Recovery Console
• For legacy / PC Intel partition table, check c:\boot.ini content
• For EFI GPT, check the output of bcdedit /v. To modify the settings, use the bcdedit /set command.
• Run bootrec.exe /fixboot to repair NTFS boot sector.

I have no idea how to do this from within Fedora.
It may also be relevant to note that this is a Windows 10 volume running on bootcamp on a Mac.
Thanks in advance

recuperation

Re: Partition shows as RAW in diskpart

#2 Post by recuperation »

Disclaimer - I don't own a MAC and know bootcamp only by name!
Tinribs wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 15:42 Hi
Win10 64x
Keeps running repair on boot. In cli diskpart shows the partition as RAW. If I try to change to C: I get the error "the file system is corrupt and cannot be accessed"
If I boot into Fedora, run up a terminal session and install testdisk I am able to list the files on the volume (as can I in the Fedora file explorer)
You can use the copy function to recover files to another location - preferably another healthy drive.
When I do the Advanced option and repairBS it tells me there is nothing wrong and I can list the files but when I reboot it still doesn't work.
The how to PDF lists this as the things to try:
• Run bootrec.exe /fixmbr from the Recovery Console
• For legacy / PC Intel partition table, check c:\boot.ini content
• For EFI GPT, check the output of bcdedit /v. To modify the settings, use the bcdedit /set command.
• Run bootrec.exe /fixboot to repair NTFS boot sector.

I have no idea how to do this from within Fedora.
Bootrec.exe only runs under Windows and not on Linux. You must be in the Windows environment to run the command. If your Win10 partition is dammaged, you probably have to boot your Win10 installation media and to access the partition from there. As for modifying the file "boot.ini", your Mac may not understand the windows file system used. It could be that the Win10 installation media or the recovery console contains an editor. "bcdedit" is another windows program. The last one, "bootrec.exe" I already referred to at the beginning of my posting.

Tinribs

Re: Partition shows as RAW in diskpart

#3 Post by Tinribs »

Thanks for this.
Unfortunately because of lockdown I'm only going into work twice a week. I assume that if I can boot into the repair mode CLI (which does work) I can run these commands from there? If so then that is my next step.