SD card formatted but never able to recover

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Requ

SD card formatted but never able to recover

#1 Post by Requ »

Hi

I am very new to issues with SD cards and mobile phones recovery so please help me ..

I have an LG v20 mobile and i save the pictures taken by the camera on a 32 GB SD card .. yesterday i was opening the gallery when the phone freezes .. removing the SD card made the phone work fine ..

I tied opening the SD card on my PC but it gave me a message that the boot sector was damage so i tried formatting the SD card on windows but it gave me an error. I used Windows formatting option!

After that i plug the SD card again to my mobile and it read it but asked to format the card and this what i did and it format it to fat32 (as i found later when plugging the card to my PC)

I used many applications on windows trying to recover the data on the SD card but not even one can read the old files .. i used PhotoRec (not the latest version) and the same thing happen .. no files were found!

When i used TestDisk to analyze the SD card it gave some notes about sector number mismatch (or a similar note)

Maybe i used the software wrong because i never experience such issue so please guide me in recovering the pictures out of the SD card ..

My English maybe looks good but i have difficult time reading documentation

Thank you in advance

recuperation

Re: SD card formatted but never able to recover

#2 Post by recuperation »

Requ wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 06:20 Hi

I am very new to issues with SD cards and mobile phones recovery so please help me ..

I have an LG v20 mobile and i save the pictures taken by the camera on a 32 GB SD card .. yesterday i was opening the gallery when the phone freezes .. removing the SD card made the phone work fine ..

I tied opening the SD card on my PC but it gave me a message that the boot sector was damage so i tried formatting the SD card on windows but it gave me an error. I used Windows formatting option!

After that i plug the SD card again to my mobile and it read it but asked to format the card and this what i did and it format it to fat32 (as i found later when plugging the card to my PC)
Formating is never part of recovery. It is deleting information.

I used many applications on windows trying to recover the data on the SD card but not even one can read the old files .. i used PhotoRec (not the latest version) and the same thing happen .. no files were found!
Your files may have have been encrypted. You would need to decrypt the first. Ask LG how to do that.

Requ

#3 Post by Requ »

Hi

My files were not encrypted .. i never encrypt my files.

Even if there was encryption .. is there any files has to be visible?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Requ wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 23:10 Hi

My files were not encrypted
How do you know?
.. i never encrypt my files.

Even if there was encryption .. is there any files has to be visible?
I don't know. Buy another (micro) SD card and simply try it out. Put files on the card, remove it from the phone, put it into a card reader and see. This is not difficult.