Copying files creates directories but no files are copied

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bobprolancer

Copying files creates directories but no files are copied

#1 Post by bobprolancer »

Hi All,

I am trying to get some important files from a HDD with a damaged partition table.
I was able to copy some file and directories from from NTFS and FAT partitions without any problem.

But when I try to copy the files from EXT4 Ubuntu boot partition from Directory "/home/b/.mozilla/firefox/y8ql0o1j.default" Testdisk creates directories in destination drive without any files in it although I get a message in Testdisk Copied XXXX files successfully.

But, I was able to copy some other files in /bob/misc without any issues.

What seems to be the problem. Can anyone help me with this.

I am using Ubuntu 18 LTS

Added by moderator
[...
I am trying to recover my firefox profile folder from the EXT4 partition which used to be my primary ubuntu installation in a 320 GB WD0 HDD which recently broke up with me by throwing away all the partitions out the windows :(

Ran Testdisk from root and found the bootable EXT4 Ubuntu partition by analyzing, found the Firefox profiles folder and copied files to a backup folder. But after the copying the destination backup folder is showing empy with just the directory structure created and not even a single file.

What seems to be the problem? I am in a terrible situation where I need those bookmarks and stuff from that profile for my work.

Can somebody help me with this issue
...]

recuperation

Re: Copying files creates directories but no files are copied

#2 Post by recuperation »

Try using Testdisk as admin. Do you have access rights to the target folder?