recover sdcard exfat partition, shows as NTFS!?!?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
lixoaqui

recover sdcard exfat partition, shows as NTFS!?!?

#1 Post by lixoaqui »

For context this is a micro sd card used as external storage on an android phone that was removed without properly unmounting it.

When I put the card into a windows machine it shows as RAW and asks me to format it.

I think I already recovered most files inside it but now I want to repair the partition and start using it again. I think the partition of the sd card is exFAT and so I'm getting results that confuse me a bit.

running testdisk and saying partition table type INTEL, after a quick search analyses I get my partition like this: Image

it seems like it shows like HPFS - NTFS partition altough at the bottom it says exFAT. Running a deeper search yields the same results.

If I run testdisk but select "none" as partition table type I get Image which seems a bit more correct but I can't write the results.

If I select EFI GPT as partition type I get "P MS Data" on the partition results.

listing files in all 3 cases seems to show the files correctly, at least major folders are there and the same.

I am almost sure this is an exFAT partition and I want to write the partition table to fix it but this discrepancy I get if I selected 'INTEL' is making me afraid I'm doing something wrong?

I'm following instructions from here: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDis ... e_recovery

is it ok to proceed and write my partition table? is it going write it as exFat correctly?

(testdisk log: https://privatebin.net/?7c0bd71144db0b5 ... gLC9fw5Dye )

recuperation

Re: recover sdcard exfat partition, shows as NTFS!?!?

#2 Post by recuperation »

As you already finished your recovery try to partition and format your micro sd card with your phone.
That will install a file system that your phone understands.
Otherwise try out various file systems on an external machine like FAT32, EXFAT, NTFS to see what your phone understands.

lixoaqui

#3 Post by lixoaqui »

yes, that's a possibility but I just wanted to save the new Partition data. can I select Intel and save the partition identified as HPFS - NTFS without problems? trying to change the partition type but also can't fix exFAT on the list !?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

I don't understand whay you mean by "problems" neither I do understand the rest of the posting.

lixoaqui

#5 Post by lixoaqui »

when I analyse with testdisk, my partition appears recognized as HPFS - NTFS. Can I write that partition table and all will work fine?

I'm asking because if I analyse but select "none" as partition table type, partition is correctly identified as exFAT

cgrenier
Site Admin

#6 Post by cgrenier »

The current partition table is correct. There is no need to rewrite it.
Instead you should fix the exfat filesystem. Read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf the chapter about Repairing Filesystem.