what happens if i press 'stop' at 47% and start again later ?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
inl1ner

what happens if i press 'stop' at 47% and start again later ?

#1 Post by inl1ner »

Hi @all,

I use an external USB enclosure 'Fantec 2Raid USB 3.0' (2 slots with 2 HDDs WD30EFRX - 3TB) that are operated in RAID-1 mode.
After switching on on June 8th, 2020 the device had no drive letter. However, the device was visible in the device manager.
After I removed the HDDs alternately and installed them in another USB drive (single slot), no drive letter was assigned to them either.
Attempts with various Unformat programs always resulted in them demanding a fee. Finally I found testdisk_win and tried the next time.
The analysis reads about 1 cylinder per second, which would mean about 4-5 days with 364800 cylinders.
At just over 40%, my laptop rebooted at night. The following day testdisk_win started with 26%.
Now at 47% I ask myself what happens if I press 'Stop' at this point, install the HDD in another housing (with eSATA) and start again later.
Will testdisk_win then continue at 47% ?
In the doc and in the forum I can't find anything about this.

Many greetings from Aachen
inl1ner

recuperation

Re: what happens if i press 'stop' at 47% and start again later ?

#2 Post by recuperation »

inl1ner wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 17:33 The analysis reads about 1 cylinder per second, which would mean about 4-5 days with 364800 cylinders.
At just over 40%, my laptop rebooted at night. The following day testdisk_win started with 26%.
Now at 47% I ask myself what happens if I press 'Stop' at this point, install the HDD in another housing (with eSATA) and start again later.
Will testdisk_win then continue at 47% ?
I don't know! I will have to find out if Testdisk is using a separate protocol file to keep track of the progress when analysing.

P.S: In the past there was at least one skate night per year in Aachen. Would have liked to join...
Schöne Grüße aus Hannover an den weiteren Niederrhein (da komm ich her).