Deleted mdadm superblock.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
BradD

Deleted mdadm superblock.

#1 Post by BradD »

I have some data I need to recover urgently and am willing to pay for support using testdisk. This is on Linux based file system. Drive layout.

/dev/sda1 -> EFI System
/dev/sda2 -> Linux RAID (SWAP) - /dev/md0
/dev/sda3 -> Linux RAID (data) - /dev/md1

/dev/sdb1 -> EFI System
/dev/sdb2 -> Linux RAID (SWAP) - /dev/md0
/dev/sdb3 -> Linux RAID (data) - /dev/md1

I upgraded my Linux Mint from 19.1 to 19.3 and after reboot it gave me a grub error. This was due to me using mdadm software raid. I tried to use boot-rescue several times. Then in all my wisdom I decided to remove the mdadm raid and try that. Well to remove the mdadm raid1 I did a mdadm --zero-superblock on both partitions (dev/sda2,/dev/sda3,/dev/sdb2,/dev/sdb3). And now everything is broken.

The last thing I tried was to recreate the mdadm raid1 on just the first drive /dev/sda3. But when I try to assemble /dev/md1 there is no partition to mount. So I have not touched /dev/sdb3 since deleting the superblock.
When I search for superblocks it doesn't show any. Then if I do a deep search it finds a lot of MSDOS like partitions. Then if I list the files (p) on a few I can eventually see my root partition. I did copy off the files but oddly there should only be like 300GB of data and it recovered some 2.4TB of data from my 500GB SSD drives. So not sure if it is corrupt or what. I don't need a full working drive as I can reinstall but would be great to be able to mount the drive and copy it off to make sure I don't have a corrupt copy.

I will pay whatever via paypal for help to recover this data. Heck even to copy it to a backup disk.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

recuperation

Re: Deleted mdadm superblock.

#2 Post by recuperation »

As I said to recently to somebody else, please contact Christophe Grenier. Unfortunately I have no experience with Linux raid configurations.