partition formatted as cramfs, unsure how to proceed

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Vleermuisman

partition formatted as cramfs, unsure how to proceed

#1 Post by Vleermuisman »

Hi all,

I have an MBP mid 2012 edition, optical drive replaced with the original Macintosh HD (750gb) and a 256gb Samsung SSD 830 series in the 'first' slot.
On the SSD I've installed MacOS High Sierra and on the HD I have a windows bootcamp partition. This worked pretty well for most of the time since I bought it back in 2012. The only struggle it gave sometimes was booting after restart. I've seen the grey screen with darkgrey stopsign a lot unfortunately.

Last week however it got fucked bigtime. After installing a few packages for anaconda, my MacOS wouldn't boot anymore after restart. As much as i like to blame my professor for making me install these packages; i don't think it has anything to do with my bootproblems, but the coincidence is real. The first few times after booting it got stuck in the familliar grey screen with darkgrey stopsign again. I used a hard reset every time and held the 'alt' key to pick the correct drive in the hopes it would boot normaly. During these booting attempts i could see the SSD in the list of bootable drives and it only failed at about 75% of the 'bootloadingscreen'. After 4 or 5 times I started to get anxious, this usually doesnt happen, and I booted in recovery mode.

Now I began to panic. In recovery mode the SSD is in the list of connected harddrives. The partition on the SSD however was greyed out, 'not mounted', did not react to mounting, and didn't do much after trying to verify or repair.

I tried to recover my files through multiple data recovery programs but they only partially recover everything (files since oktober 2019 are missing) and the licenses for these programs are pretty expensive (for a brokeass student at least). But the fact that most files were recoverable gave me confidence to continue my search. This in combination with my believe that the SSD drive has no fysical damage makes me refuse to believe my harddrive cant be fixed.

Ive analysed my SSD drive through TestDisk (this took about 6 hours) but i'm not sure what to make of the results, which state 4 partitions:

P EFI System - - - - - - - 40 - - - - - - -409639- - - - 409600- - - [EFI System Partition] [EFI]- -(FAT32, blocksize=512, 209 MB / 200 MiB)
P Mac HFS - - - - - - - - - 5872624 - - -19143731- - -13271108- -[Sheet.nib]- - - - - - - - -(HFS blocksize=131072, 6794 MB / 6480 MiB)
P Linux filesys. data - -473236176 - -476393420- -3157245- - [L~Dȭa^E1>sãw^P^K^C ]- - - -(cramfs, 1616 MB / 1541 MiB)
P Mac HFS - - - - - - - - - 498848616- -500118151- -1269536- - - -- - - - - - - - - - (HFS+ found using backup sector!, 650 MB / 619 MiB)

Only the first partition (EFI System) has the option to browse through the files with 'P', the other three don't. If I press P at any of the middle two partitions the screen states 'Support for this filesystem hasn't been implemented'. I making an Image of my SSD drive as we speak but i'm unsure and hesitant how to proceed. Does anyone have experience with this and is willing to share his/her insights?

Thanks in advance, It would be much appreciated!

recuperation

Re: partition formatted as cramfs, unsure how to proceed

#2 Post by recuperation »

Vleermuisman wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 10:50 Hi all,

I have an MBP mid 2012 edition, optical drive replaced with the original Macintosh HD (750gb) and a 256gb Samsung SSD 830 series in the 'first' slot.
On the SSD I've installed MacOS High Sierra and on the HD I have a windows bootcamp partition. This worked pretty well for most of the time since I bought it back in 2012. The only struggle it gave sometimes was booting after restart. I've seen the grey screen with darkgrey stopsign a lot unfortunately.

Last week however it got fucked bigtime. After installing a few packages for anaconda, my MacOS wouldn't boot anymore after restart. As much as i like to blame my professor for making me install these packages; i don't think it has anything to do with my bootproblems, but the coincidence is real. The first few times after booting it got stuck in the familliar grey screen with darkgrey stopsign again. I used a hard reset every time and held the 'alt' key to pick the correct drive in the hopes it would boot normaly. During these booting attempts i could see the SSD in the list of bootable drives and it only failed at about 75% of the 'bootloadingscreen'. After 4 or 5 times I started to get anxious, this usually doesnt happen, and I booted in recovery mode.

Now I began to panic. In recovery mode the SSD is in the list of connected harddrives. The partition on the SSD however was greyed out, 'not mounted', did not react to mounting, and didn't do much after trying to verify or repair.

I tried to recover my files through multiple data recovery programs but they only partially recover everything (files since oktober 2019 are missing) and the licenses for these programs are pretty expensive (for a brokeass student at least). But the fact that most files were recoverable gave me confidence to continue my search. This in combination with my believe that the SSD drive has no fysical damage makes me refuse to believe my harddrive cant be fixed.

Ive analysed my SSD drive through TestDisk (this took about 6 hours) but i'm not sure what to make of the results, which state 4 partitions:

P EFI System - - - - - - - 40 - - - - - - -409639- - - - 409600- - - [EFI System Partition] [EFI]- -(FAT32, blocksize=512, 209 MB / 200 MiB)
P Mac HFS - - - - - - - - - 5872624 - - -19143731- - -13271108- -[Sheet.nib]- - - - - - - - -(HFS blocksize=131072, 6794 MB / 6480 MiB)
P Linux filesys. data - -473236176 - -476393420- -3157245- - [L~Dȭa^E1>sãw^P^K^C ]- - - -(cramfs, 1616 MB / 1541 MiB)
P Mac HFS - - - - - - - - - 498848616- -500118151- -1269536- - - -- - - - - - - - - - (HFS+ found using backup sector!, 650 MB / 619 MiB)

Only the first partition (EFI System) has the option to browse through the files with 'P', the other three don't. If I press P at any of the middle two partitions the screen states 'Support for this filesystem hasn't been implemented'. I making an Image of my SSD drive as we speak but i'm unsure and hesitant how to proceed. Does anyone have experience with this and is willing to share his/her insights?
Please post the full log file. You can upload it using the attachment tab on the bottom of the page.
Have you run the deep search as well?

256GB in 6 hours translates into roughly 12MB/sec which is way to slow.

If using the "P" key does not work, your only alternative is Photorec or commercial recovery software alternatives.

You might as well check the SMART parameters of your SSD using smartmontools or Crystaldiskinfo.