Help a newbie recover encrypted partitions from USB stick after accidental format.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
pavlidis

Help a newbie recover encrypted partitions from USB stick after accidental format.

#1 Post by pavlidis »

Hello everyone. I have a dual boot laptop with Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux. On Manjaro Linux I used the GNOME Disks tool to encrypt a Sandisk 128 gb USB stick. I accidentally formatted this USB stick on Windows 10 (while trying to clean the keyboard).

I installed TestDisk on Manjaro and tried PhotoRec first as most of the files I want to recover are pictures. I specified the recovery path on my home/desktop and not on the USB stick. It didn't work. I only recovered a "report.xml" file a ".luks" file and a ".swf" file.

I tried TestDisk next which is kinda overwhelming. I am not very tech savvy and English is not my main language. The steps I did were:

1. Run

Code: Select all

sudo teskdisk[/code ] from terminal and gave my password.
2. Selected [code]create
and pressed enter.
3. Selected the SanDisk usb stick and pressed proceed.
4. Selected

Intel Partition
as hinted and then enter.
5. Selected

Analyse
and hit enter.
6. Selected

Quick Search
and hit enter. I waited for a few mins for the utility to analyze the cylinders as shown in the above picture: Image[/img].
7. When the process was done it found a Primary bootable Linux partition. I presssed enter to continue. Image[/img].
8. I did a deeper search and waited. Image[/img].
9. When the deeper search ended I was presented with 2 deleted partitions. A Linux one which I am guessing its the partition containing the encryption(password) and a HPFS - NTFS partition which I assume contains the actual pictures. Image[/img].

How do I proceed from here guys? I am kinda stuck as I dont understand what to do next.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by pavlidis on 06 Oct 2020, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

recuperation

Re: Help a newbie recover encrypted partitions from USB stick after accidental format.

#2 Post by recuperation »

You have to decrypt your stick first. Recovery software including Testdisk and Photorec can only work on readible media.

pavlidis

Re: Help a newbie recover encrypted partitions from USB stick after accidental format.

#3 Post by pavlidis »

How can I decrypt the USB stick? Its empty. It was formatted. I can open it without asking for a password or something.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Do you have a LUKS header-backup?

Your header might have been destroyed by the format operation.

viewtopic.php?p=30640#p30640

pavlidis

#5 Post by pavlidis »

Unfortunately I don't have a LUKS header-backup.

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

What did you encrypt?
The whole stick or the partition on the stick (assuming there was not more than one partition)?

pavlidis

#7 Post by pavlidis »

Its been years but I think I encrypted the whole USB stick.

recuperation

#8 Post by recuperation »

In this case recovery is impossible.

Please show the first sector of your USB-stick by copying it into a file named "mbr.bin" p.e..

Replace the content of the [] marked areas in the command below, you might have to use the sudo command:

(sudo) dd if=[path to your USB device] of=/home/[yourprofile]/mbr.bin bs=512 count=1
Post the command you used and try to upload this binary file here or link it from the forum.