MacOs Filesystem damaged attempts to recover my data

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
fxPlus

MacOs Filesystem damaged attempts to recover my data

#1 Post by fxPlus »

So this is my situation:
Before to have the problem my mac had 2 main partitions, on the first one there was installed osx and on the second one linux. Yesterday I did cmd+r but in the while, the charger was not attached to my mac and it died. Since that moment at startup, no filesystem exists anymore and there are some problems with partitions.

Now, what I want to do is getting back my data from osx partition and I made some attempts till now without some success:

1) I run cmd+r (it was restored the original recover system from internet) -> disk utility -> partitions cannot be mounted and the mac osx partition type Is marked with a strange name like FFFFFF (like shown in the picture above). From disk utility seems to be nothing to do so...
2) ...I created a bootable USB using a Linux iso(redo Recovery) and I run it trying to recover my data with some program. First of all, I cannot mount the volume where osx is located, I tried to recover my data with Gparted but it says no filesystem has been found. I tried also testdisk, it founds a lot of partitions but till now I was not able to recover anything yet:

Typing P, TestDisk is not able to find data anyway (it says can't open partition file system seems to be damaged or no file found, the file system may be damaged)
Note that the operating system installed was Catalina (for the osx partition)
So, what can I do to recover my file from that osx partition? Thanks

recuperation

Re: MacOs Filesystem damaged attempts to recover my data

#2 Post by recuperation »

If you can't list files within your partitions using the "p"-key you are only left with the option to use Photorec or a commercial recovery product.

fxPlus

#3 Post by fxPlus »

recuperation wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 12:14 If you can't list files within your partitions using the "p"-key you are only left with the option to use Photorec or a commercial recovery product.
Thank you for your interest, I'll try with photorec but I have a question, is possible to rebuild original directories names with their content while recovering with photorec?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

No.

fxPlus

#5 Post by fxPlus »

recuperation wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 14:55No.
Ok I have done a scan with Photorec but some files are truncated, (scripting files .PHP .c etc..). Are they truncated and split in more files or are they damaged?

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »