My files in external disk was lost due to spare windows 10

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
khaan67

My files in external disk was lost due to spare windows 10

#1 Post by khaan67 »

I wanted to have windows 10 installation files in case of any operating system failure. So, I did it by the aid of windows MediaCreationTool20H2 but I by mistake overwrote 1 TB external hard disk (one partition and NTFS system) while trying to compose windows 10 installation files . Now, my external hard disk consists of two partition i.e. 32 GB of Fat 32 ( windows 10 files ) and 899 GB of unallocated unit. I have screen shot images but I don' t know how to attach them. I have reviewed some guides and papers on your web, but I didn't find related instructions for a smilar case . I have already downloaded your software ( test disk) and done some tries on an another unnecessary disk but I couldn't succeed in recover deleted files for a similar case. I think that I go wrong. , I dont want to corrupt my lost files . Plase help me.

recuperation

Re: My files in external disk was lost due to spare windows 10

#2 Post by recuperation »

I wanted to have windows 10 installation files in case of any operating system failure. So, I did it by the aid of windows MediaCreationTool20H2 but I by mistake overwrote 1 TB external hard disk (one partition and NTFS system) while trying to compose windows 10 installation files . Now, my external hard disk consists of two partition i.e. 32 GB of Fat 32 ( windows 10 files ) and 899 GB of unallocated unit. I have screen shot images but I don' t know how to attach them.
There is an attachment tab on the bottom of your page that enables you to upload your screenshots.

I have reviewed some guides and papers on your web, but I didn't find related instructions for a smilar case . I have already downloaded your software ( test disk) and done some tries on an another unnecessary disk but I couldn't succeed in recover deleted files for a similar case. I think that I go wrong. , I dont want to corrupt my lost files . Plase help me.
If you think you could do something wrong because you might not feel that technically inclined you can contact a professional recovery service. Otherwise you might find an expert (not me) who will help you out duplicating your drive as described in the Testdisk manual.

khaan67

#3 Post by khaan67 »

Thank you very much your reply. I don't want to any help from professional companies. I am an engineer. if you help me, I will follow your instructions . Screenshots which show final condition of disk is below . I have not done anything on disk. I have not applied test disk steps on the disk. So, I believe that we will together recover it. If we succeed I will be grateful.

I look forward to hearing from you soon
Attachments
1.png
1.png (39.36 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
2.png
2.png (106.93 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
3.png
3.png (33.4 KiB) Viewed 1186 times

khaan67

#4 Post by khaan67 »

the second part of screenshots are below.
Attachments
4.png
4.png (19.97 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
5.png
5.png (17.73 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
6.png
6.png (15.49 KiB) Viewed 1186 times

khaan67

#5 Post by khaan67 »

the third part of screenshots are below
Attachments
7.png
7.png (13.79 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
8.png
8.png (12.84 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
9.png
9.png (13.93 KiB) Viewed 1185 times

khaan67

#6 Post by khaan67 »

the fourth part of screenshots are below
Attachments
10.png
10.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

khaan67 wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 11:36 I have already downloaded your software ( test disk) and done some tries on an another unnecessary disk but I couldn't succeed in recover deleted files for a similar case. I think that I go wrong. , I dont want to corrupt my lost files . Plase help me.
Following the instructions to recover deleted files applies for files that have been deleted using a delete operation from the file system like deleting files in windows explorer. You, however, deleted partitions and overwrote parts of it by you action. Although many files are deleted somehow, trying to recover deleted files is not the appropriate action because their content has been overwritten.

Using "image creation" as shown on your screenshots only applies to the partition selected.
You rather need to duplicate the drive which is described in the testdisk manual.

After that you would run the analysis function on the dammaged drive to search for recoverable partition information. You would use the "p"-key to list files for each found partition that you selected if you find valid content. If you fail you would run the "deeper search" and you would check the content of each partitions afterwards.
If that fails (what I would expect if you really overwrote 1TB of data on your disc), you can run Photorec.
Any commercial recovery software fills the gap between Testdisk and Photorec and would be an option as well.

khaan67

#8 Post by khaan67 »

Thank you for your advices. Although my external disk capacity was 1 TB, the disk was not full. I used 60 percent of the disk. On the other and , Windows 10 accidentally written to disk takes about 32 Gb. As a result, the disk has never been overwritten entirely .

Result:

I'll try whatever you suggested me.