HELP! READ ERROR!

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
abhinavjoshua

HELP! READ ERROR!

#1 Post by abhinavjoshua »

I'm trying to recover data from my WD 2TB internal hard drive but getting this READ ERROR message in testdisk. Image

In Disk Manager, the disk is shown as unallocated - not initialized and a popup comes asking me to select MBR or GPT to initialize the disk and when I try to initialize it it gives me an error "Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Cannot initialize disk." Please help me in getting my data back! I'm using an external USB casing to attach my hard drive. Image

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: HELP! READ ERROR!

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You should try to clone the disk to a new empty disk using ddrescue as described in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Good luck

abhinavjoshua

#3 Post by abhinavjoshua »

I’ve read the pdf... but I’m kinda lost on how to do it?? Is there any youtube video on ddrescue cloning the disk?
I’m on a windows machine... Is there any step by step tutorial video on how to do it?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

abhinavjoshua wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 18:39 I’ve read the pdf... but I’m kinda lost on how to do it?? Is there any youtube video on ddrescue cloning the disk?
I don't understand why you are asking a question in the forum that can be solved by running a simple search within youtube., p.e. :roll:
I’m on a windows machine... Is there any step by step tutorial video on how to do it?
Windows is not a suitable recovery platform. You have to bite the bullet and start learning linux or you have to purchase the service of a professional data recovery.