Formatted an NTFS drive in windows that was created in Linux. Now Linux partitions are "missing"

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mintjay19

Formatted an NTFS drive in windows that was created in Linux. Now Linux partitions are "missing"

#1 Post by mintjay19 »

Hello All,

Issue: Formatted an NTFS drive in windows that was created in Linux. Now can only log into Linux in emergency mode as root only and could not see my home folder, sub folders or files in them. I would like to recover the Linux installation ideally or at least recover home folder. I can log into Windows and work normally.

I have a duel boot T480 laptop with preinstalled Windows 10. Once I bought it, I resized the C:\ drive, using gParted I created additional partition for storage (D:\, 50gb and F:\, 100gb) and other ext4 partitions and installed Linux Mint 19. I’ve been using this setup for last year or so. D:\ was not being used since its creation using gParted.

Few days ago, while I was logged into windows10, I formatted the unused D:\ drive. The first clue something was wrong was when the partition size was 175gb instead of 50gb that I created. I created one empty folder from windows after I formatted the partition. After this process this is how my partitions look like.https://imgur.com/pGuTlot. I dont see the windows recovery partition etc.

I tried to log into Mint, I got the grub menu, selected Mint, all I got was a menu saying "You are in emergency mode" message. https://imgur.com/7a1MpTs . I could log in as root though. If I restart, I can still log into Windows10 and work normally. I have some files in the home folder that I would like to recover, along with my browser shortcuts.

What I tried:
I have an installation USB and I can log into the machine using that USB.
I can log into Windows10 and work nromally.
Tried testdisk:
This is what I got after first https://imgur.com/lMdwuGu.
The next step was quicksearch. This is what I got after quicksearch https://imgur.com/EpGI1nB. There are many partitions marked with "D". I tried looking at files using option "p", I don't see the files that I'm looking for (my home directory or sub folders like desktop etc).

What should my next step? If someone can help me with step by step instructions, I will be able to try it out. I will accept responsibility for the loss of data because of these efforts, so please don’t hesitate to offer your ideas. Is this issue something like recreating MBR of MFT (don't know how or even if it is possible, since I’m at noob level)

Are there any other tools better suited for this kind of issue?

Thank you for your time.

recuperation

Re: Formatted an NTFS drive in windows that was created in Linux. Now Linux partitions are "missing"

#2 Post by recuperation »

The partition table found looks fine.
Use Windows10 repair functions to reestablish the booting ability of Windows 10. Once that works do the same with Linux.

mintjay19

Re: Formatted an NTFS drive in windows that was created in Linux. Now Linux partitions are "missing"

#3 Post by mintjay19 »

recuperation wrote: 30 May 2021, 12:19 The partition table found looks fine.
Use Windows10 repair functions to reestablish the booting ability of Windows 10. Once that works do the same with Linux.
I can boot into windows 10 currently with no issues, it is just linux that has issues booting into as regular user.

attached is the gParted output from liveUSB. the 175gb partition was created after I formatted the 50gb NTFS partition. I think this partition swallowed the linux home folder that contained my files.
Attachments
20210530_220520.jpg
20210530_220520.jpg (365.52 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
20210530_220224.jpg
20210530_220224.jpg (214.88 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
This is the gParted output from liveUSB
This is the gParted output from liveUSB
gParted.png (498.6 KiB) Viewed 1197 times

mintjay19

#4 Post by mintjay19 »

can you please take a look at my latest post and see if you can guide me a bit? My situation is getting desperate.

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

You did not buy a dual boot installation. You installed linux on your laptop. Use your Iinux installation media to regain bootability of your linux.

To access your linux partitions either boot a live usb stick or connect your disk as an external one (p.e. in a dockingstation) to a running linux computer.

With the introduction of UEFI and GPT there are too many possibilities of how the boot process is being handled on computers owned by people who request help in this forum. Furthermore, I don't have experience with the most recent setups.
Therefore I can only refer you to your installation media.