SDCard worn out

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
NatroN

SDCard worn out

#1 Post by NatroN »

Hi team and thanks for the software,

I got a SD Card with HASSIO (homeassistant - Linux / raspian) on it that is just worn and doesn't boot anymore.

photorec finds that disk after a significant amount of time but shows that drive twice as big as it really is. So I changed the geometry and changed the cylinders to 3880 - now the size is correct with 32gb.

It neither finds a partition nor does it recognize the filesystem. So I've manually chonsen other (I expect exfat) but it doesn't find files.

I'm sure I didn't fully understand what I have to do in my case to recover data from that SDCard. *seemsThisStatementSeemsInappropriateSRY*

tia
Last edited by NatroN on 10 Jun 2021, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

recuperation

Re: SDCard worn out

#2 Post by recuperation »

The most important thing from my point of view is that dangling carots will not rescue your data:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dangle+carrot

You will need to contact a professional recovery service.
Please keep in mind that those don't work on promisses of donation - it will cost you serious money.

NatroN

Re: SDCard worn out

#3 Post by NatroN »

Hi,

thanks for you reply. I've been in contact already with a professional Service in Vienna. The price was fair, to be honest and I absolutly would do it. But the fact, that the first analisys will cost me already 100€ is still holding me back. I know that they already have a lot of work with this analysis and this needs to be paid, but I'm struggling spending money for "We're sorry - not possible".

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they have to charge me for their work, but I'd easier agree if I already will get some hints that it is likley to be possible - this is why I'm "playing around" with testdisk

thanks