HDD suddenly not initialized, please help with partition recovery Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Nebra5

HDD suddenly not initialized, please help with partition recovery

#1 Post by Nebra5 »

Hello,

I've got 2 hard drives built into this computer. The first one (C:) is for OS (Win 10) and programs and is working well, however, the second drive (1 TB) disappeared from "my computer" yesterday. It used to have 3 partitions (D, E, F) and contains documents. In Windows drive manager, it is shown as "Drive 0, unknown, not initialized".

I checked that uninitialized disk with Testdisk, which prompted an error at first - something along the line of "signature aa55 not found" (sorry, I forgot to note down the exact error code).
I chose Intel partition structure, quick search, and the result is this:

I browsed the file strucutre and all documents and data seem to be where they should be.
What would be the next step now? How should I set the partition characteristics? (This is a secondary drive with no OS/boot tasks)

This is my first post and I have to apologize but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to post the log file as attachment.
Thanks for your help & patience!

Nebra5

Re: HDD suddenly not initialized, please help with partition recovery

#2 Post by Nebra5 »

This is the result of a deep scan:

During deep scan it said there was a broken boot sector.

Nebra5

Re: HDD suddenly not initialized, please help with partition recovery

#3 Post by Nebra5 »

Okay, so I thought I just give it a try since I need some of the documents this weekend. Summary for future users investigating a similar problem:

A 1 TB secondary hard drive disappeared from my computer suddenly. Windows drive manager showed it as 0 unknown, uninitialized, ~1TB empty space. Testdisk quick scan showed it's three partitions and all the data were actually still recognizable.

During deep scan Testdisk said "damaged boot sector" and after the scan was done it said "The hard disk seems too small!", like shown in the above screenshot.

I then set the three partitions to <P> since this is not a boot disk. One entire night of reading internet information suggested to me that these were not logical partitions of an extended drive but honestly, I did not really get that part at all and no clear answer to the question.

No risk, no fun. I wrote the partition table for three primary partitions in Testdisk and rebootet the computer.
On reboot, the computer got stuck with error "F1234" (DoS Screen) which surprised me since it used to boot finely from the main drive all the time (this drive with broken partition is only a secondary data drive, it was never a master or boot disk).
However, I turned the PC off completely and simply tried booting again and this time everything went fine.
My data disk is now back in "my Computer", showing all three original partitions and I have just started to copy all the important data to a backup... (this was my personal shot across the bow indeed.)