Recovery a disk of childhood

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ale152

Recovery a disk of childhood

#1 Post by ale152 »

Hello!
After weeks of search I finally found the disk of my childhood! It contains a lot of important files that I need to recover.
The disk is very old, it is a Maxtor ATHENA ATA 20 GB. I don't know what it has wrong, but I suppose it has physical damages, because everytime I start the PC with this disk mounted on, bios gives me a generic error about this disk and Windows becames very slow in loading. I tried to start with Ubuntu and the scenery is the same, but with the difference that in Windows I can see the disk in the disk manager, while in Ubuntu I can't see it anywhere.

I tried to open TestDisk under Windows, but I don't know what is the best way to recover my disk. Windows can't recognize any partition, TestDisk is trying to analyze it, but it is very slow. Now it is stuck on this screen for 3 hours:

I tried to open it with WinHex too, but every software that try to open this disk, becames incredibly SLOW!
What does may mean?

Thank you!