Mac OSX 10.3.9 G4 ppc

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cdmccreary

Mac OSX 10.3.9 G4 ppc

#1 Post by cdmccreary »

I deleted the partition with Disk Utility but did not format that 80GB drive with the OS and data on the drive as a normal installation.

I downloaded and installed Testdisk on a boot cd for mac using BootCD. Testdisk does not seem to have the ability to write the partition parameters back to the hard drive. I looked at pdisk and parted like the program suggested. I do not think either will recover the partition information.

Can anyone help? Where do I go from here?

I cannot attach the log file as the support page says to do. I get the error "extension not allowed".

Thanks in advance.

cdmccreary

Re: Mac OSX 10.3.9 G4 ppc

#2 Post by cdmccreary »

As a followup, I finally found instructions on this site for using pdisk to recreate my deleted partition. I could not find them directly but I used google.

Opening pdisk and the using numbers that I got from testdisk.

Commands were:
sudo pdisk /dev/rdisk1
e(dit)
c(reate)
i(nitialize)
"number of block starting partition" <enter>
"number of length of partition" <enter>
macosx (name I choose for partition)
w(rite)
q(uit)

OSX 10.5 recognized the drive over firewire instantly.

I actually created and wrote the wrong numbers first and then just deleted the new partition and then started over again.

I believe Mac Disk Utility writes the partition writes a boot sector and file tables and would further complicate the problem.

Good Luck

Charles

dereksummers

Re: Mac OSX 10.3.9 G4 ppc

#3 Post by dereksummers »

cdmccreary wrote:I deleted the partition with Disk Utility but did not format that 80GB drive with the OS and data on the drive as a normal installation.

I downloaded and installed Testdisk on a boot cd for mac using BootCD. Testdisk does not seem to have the ability to write the partition parameters back to the hard drive. I looked at pdisk and parted like the program suggested. I do not think either will recover the partition information.

Can anyone help? Where do I go from here?

I cannot attach the log file as the support page says to do. I get the error "extension not allowed".

Thanks in advance.
Don't break up or lose hope. I have been to this kind of situation before when I also wiped out the partition volume and had no idea what to do. My friend suggested me to search for a professional third party macintosh file recovery tool. I did the same and found out some very truly good solutions on the web. I would suggest you to search the web or you can go for data recovery from companies like stellar.