questions, questions...

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
koymoy

questions, questions...

#1 Post by koymoy »

Hi,

have some questions...

1. will a partition recovery make my folder and files reappear, as they were before my idiotic mistake?

2. My drive was formatted as NTFS, and i accidentally did erase disk in linux. Now, when i do the analyze thing, it lists as a FAT32, and if i the perform a deeper search - it again, only finds the FAT32 partition and asks if i want to "write"? (the partition table, i presume?)
I dare not, to do so, as the pictures from my sons birth is on there somewhere and i was sure I had them backed up elsewhere...but i did not. So it's pretty freakin' important for me, not to make mistakes...so, don't exactly know where to go or what to do from here - any ideas?

best regards,

Christian

Fiona

Re: questions, questions...

#2 Post by Fiona »

To better judge your situation, would it be possible to repeat your diagnose and copy and paste the content of your testdisk.log into your next post?
Before, you can have a try to recover photos using PhotoRec.
It ignores any file system and reads your data underlying in your sectors.
It's a marvellous utility to recover photos.

Fiona

snakenuts

#3 Post by snakenuts »

Hi Fiona,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am interested in the PhotoRec thing. I have a post on this website (http://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/exte ... t2782.html) related to the recovery of my HDD which I am still having trouble with.
But even though my music files (and some movie files) are important to me, the most important files on this HDD are my photos - I can't get those back if I delete them!

So should I try the PhotoRec program first? I read it doesnt copy files to a new drive, but just makes them more accessible on the corrupt HDD, is this correct?

Cheers

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

Yes, you can use PhotoRec.
It's very important not to write to your disk anymore.
Because your data are underlying in sectors.
If you override them, your files will be gone forever.
Please go in PhotoRec to File Opt, press s to deselect all file types.
Only check required file types in the list, which you want to recover and press enter to activate it.
So you can have a try to get your photos, mp3 and movies back.
Another hint is to use testdisk and the menu Undelete.
It's available in the menu "Advanced".
Undelete keeps file names and folders.
You can check it also.

Fiona

koymoy

#5 Post by koymoy »

Fiona wrote:To better judge your situation, would it be possible to repeat your diagnose and copy and paste the content of your testdisk.log into your next post?
Before, you can have a try to recover photos using PhotoRec.
It ignores any file system and reads your data underlying in your sectors.
It's a marvellous utility to recover photos.

Fiona
Hi,

Thank you for the reply,

I will try and redo the process, as soon as i get Windows 7 reinstalled - Linux is just not an option in regards of my needs - for the time being at least.

I did try the Photorec, and ended up with some 200GB of data - incl. alot of pictures - just not the most important ones, the ones from my sons birth, which is weird, as some of the pictures that showed up, was of people I have never seen (so I guess my drive is a refurb....hehe!)

Could the undelete thing be an option? and can you explain to me, why no NTFS partition or is that what you maybe can see from the log file?

Best Regards,

Christian