2 identical bootable partitions

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Kennychua

2 identical bootable partitions

#1 Post by Kennychua »

I was wondering if someone could help. Not sure what happened, but My win 7 computer is now missing the operating system. I think it has something to do with the boot record.

When I pick the hard dive, which only has 1 partition, and press analyse, I get a result of 2 identical bootable partitions??

Now I don't know what to do?? Can someone help?

Fiona

Re: 2 identical bootable partitions

#2 Post by Fiona »

I assume there are not 2 identical partitions?
In case if a boot sector or file system is damaged, your partition will be still in your partition table.
If your boot sector is corrupted, testdisk will display this partition regarding a message like "Invalid NTFS or Exfat boot seperately!
To judge your situation, would it be possible to repeat your diagnose and open the testdisk.log in your testdisk folder and copy paste the content in a post?

Fiona

Kennychua

Re: 2 identical bootable partitions

#3 Post by Kennychua »

Hi Fiona.....

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, it turns out that this is an encrypted computer from work. So, fixing the MBR killed the whole thing. Now the computer wouldn't even start. I managed to get it to boot to a CD, but the whole Master File Table is corrupt. It won't recognize anything. The file system is now RAW.

I think I'm screwed aren't I? I couldn't find anything online that could fix that.

I'm going into work today and they will probably yell at me for messing with it and probably have to reformat the whole computer..... unless you come up with something I can try before I get there. :)

Thank you though....