Huge log file

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
johnclark

Huge log file

#1 Post by johnclark »

Hi world, I had a little problem with a partition recovery on a 2Tb Lacie external hard drive (USB 3.0).
The recovery was very slow, about 1% per hour, so I stopped it after a night of work. This morning i saw the message by Win7: "low free space, you have to run a cleanup" or something similar. So, after some search, i found a 70Gb logfile!!! What's wrong? Which is the right way to find errors on my external drive?
thanx

Fiona

Re: Huge log file

#2 Post by Fiona »

If testdisk creates such a big log file indicates often, that your memory management (LBA -< Logical Block Adressing) probably doesn't match anymore or bad sectors?
Did you receive many read errors?
TestDisk would write each read error to your log file, which can cause a huge log file.
Currently it's only a suspicion and has only significance to get it checked first.
Can you check your disk using crystaldiskinfo?
http://crystalmark.info/software/Crysta ... dex-e.html
Important, would be a screenshot from testdisk / Analyse and your current partition structur too.
It displays only your current partition table/structur and doesn't scan anything.
You can also copy and paste the content of your testdisk.log from this diagnose into your next post.
It provides more info about your disk etc..
There is no necessity to run Quick or deeper search again!

Fiona