Recover partition table from backup sector Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Eruanno

Recover partition table from backup sector

#1 Post by Eruanno »

Hello,

I'm trying to recover partition NTFS from Samsung hard drive using test disc. I'm using latest 6.14 version on Windows 7 and Mini Windows XP. When i'm choosing [None] partition table type it finds partition covering whole disc (when i choose [Intel] option it find nothing), and i can listed all files in there. But I can't change partition table type by using left/right arrows, and later i can't write partition table to disc. Can you tell me when and why such thing could happen? The hard drive is external without operating system on, formatted probably with Windows XP.

Fiona

Re: Recover partition table from backup sector

#2 Post by Fiona »

If you choose partition table type None, you can't write any partition into your partition table.
At least, if you're able to list your files, you could copy them to another healthy disk or partition.
To judge, why TestDisk doesn't find any partition using partition table type Intel, I'd need infos how your disk and disk geometry is displayed in TestDisk.
Can you copy and paste the content of your testdisk.log into your next post?
Both logs, from Intel and partition table type None are appreciated.

Fiona

Eruanno

#3 Post by Eruanno »

Thank you for the reply Fiona. Despite of the problems i've been able to recover partition table from Advanced menu and disc is working fine now.
However now i have problem with second disc 1TB. It was damaged when my friend try to copy files from previously mentioned Samsung disc to this one. He was using Ontrack Easy Recovery and choose "Copy Disc" option... lucky(?) he stopped progress after 2%. After scannig quick search with typ None option there was no partition that i could listed for files. Now I try with Intel option and i post result here.

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

Thank you for your feedback.
If your partition is still in your partition table, you can use Advanced / Boot / Backup BS or Rebuildf BS to have a try to repair your boot sector.
If it's successful, your data will get visible again!

I'll set your topic as solved!

Fiona