TD(TestDisk) failing to repair External HDD

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
pikkles

TD(TestDisk) failing to repair External HDD

#1 Post by pikkles »

1. External WD HD Passport appears in windows as a drive.
2. Clicking on it warns that the drive not formatted properly and whether i should proceed to format it.

3. I used both TestDisk and iCARE data recovery which both show that the files are still available (some of which i have already transferred) - iCARE shows these as RAW files (but still accessible).

4. I run the standard TestDisk processes (analyze, scan, write, re-start) which has made the drive available to the system without the format prompt however when i enter the WD HD Passport folder there are no files/folders. It appears empty. Windows sees my external HDD as empty (100 percent free space).

5. More TD and iCARE scans show all the data is still present.

6. I run a Western Digital Diagnostic tool and the drive appears to have no errors or problems. Chkdsk also throws up no problems.

7. TD says both the boot sector and and back-up are OK and identical however when i click on repair MFI it states: MFT and MFT mirror are bad: Failed to Repair them...

8. I have tried to repair the partition with TestDisk and iCARE but after both saying it has successfully completed i still cannot access the data.