help: number of bytes per sector mismatches

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
piper36

help: number of bytes per sector mismatches

#1 Post by piper36 »

I need some help trying to restore a partition I deleted this morning by mistake when preparing to format a new drive. I ran disk management and for some reason it decided to ask me to re-assign a drive letter to one of my existing storage drives. I thought it was asking for the new empty drive but I realized too late that it turned my existing storage disk to unallocated. The drive was a Seagate 3TB "Backup Plus" drive that I pulled out of the enclosure last year to run in my own external storage bay. The drive was formatted as GPT when I set it up last year.

I downloaded and ran Testdisc on my Windows 7 32bit system. Here are the steps I ran - it tells me "number of bytes per sector mismatches" and "No partition found or selected for recovery".

1) I highlighted my drive with the deleted partitions and clicked "Proceed"

2) EFI GPT was already highlighted by default so I hit enter.

3) - I then selected "Analyse"

4) - This is the next screen - "Quick Search" was selected by default so I hit enter

5) - This screen appeared briefly:

6) Then this screen appeared - "Continue" was highlighted by default so I hit enter

7) I selected the second item, "NEW VOLUME", which is what my old partition was named, then hit enter

8) Then it says "No Partiton found or selected for recovery"

Any idea what's happening here? It seems like it expects to find a 6TB disk instead of a 3Tb one if I'm reading it right, according to screenshot 6. I can see the list of all my files on the drive if I select the partition and hit "P" to list all files. But for some reason it doesn't seem to want to let me recover the entire partition. What can I do?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: help: number of bytes per sector mismatches

#2 Post by cgrenier »

After Quick Search, use the arrow keys to switch the partition to P(rimary). On next screen, you should be able to select Write.

piper36

Re: help: number of bytes per sector mismatches

#3 Post by piper36 »

cgrenier wrote:After Quick Search, use the arrow keys to switch the partition to P(rimary). On next screen, you should be able to select Write.
Thank for the reply!

Ok, so I tried it again, and this time, at screenshot 7, I used the right arrow key to select "P" for Primary, then the "write" option became visible, so I selected "Write" and hit enter. This is the screen I get next:

So what should I do next, and is this a good sign? Do I select "Rebuild BS", or "Repair MFT"? Or do I just select "Quit" and restart now? I'm leaving this as it is for now until I hear back so I don't do anything wrong from here. This was an external storage drive and I have a lot of newer files that I should have backed up but haven't yet.