File Recovery issue (resubmitted)

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
rdent8

File Recovery issue (resubmitted)

#1 Post by rdent8 »

Hey everyone, recently my ext hd which is a 500gb seagate freeagent goflex has become inaccessible, showing up as drive K and asking me to format it. Shortly before this I was able to use the drive but whenever I clicked on an image or video a message would tell me that that file was missing. There doesn't seem to be any physical problems wrong with the drive, no clicking noises or anything, it just stopped working. I really just want my files back, if I can recover the drive that would be nice.
I'm really bad at these sort of things, I tried many programs like getdataback but I only got disk read errors, and that happened with Testdisk/photorec at first but I have been able to recover some files. In testdisk my drive appears with the correct space as a physical drive and drive K. I was only successful working with drive k and not the physical one.
When I click on none I find one partition that has some of my files on it. There is a list that I moved to an seperate ext hd. All of the files that it did recover, it place them in the same order, spot, and date I had them in. Photorec also found more files, but a lot are missing.
This part seems ok, mirrors match perfectly
I tried using intel/pc instead of none and three more partitions show up
I could just make an image of sys 72 and sys 74, photorec recovered more missing files from those. I don't know what to do about the space conflict issue or if I have to change the geometry around. I was thinking that because the drives blocksize is 4096. I did nothing further, I know more of my files are there I just don't know what to do next. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Fiona

Re: File Recovery issue (resubmitted)

#2 Post by Fiona »

Did you use testdisk 64bit?
It's only intended for 64bit-machines lacking a 32bit virtual machine like WOW64.
In case please use the 32bit version and select your physically disk and try to repat your diagnose!

Fiona

Mensch

#3 Post by Mensch »

Hallo Fiona, I am sitting in the middle of the Mexican jungle at Guatemala border with a recovery issue.
I have in a prev occasion be successful using cgs but this SD card recovery is more than I can chew, plz help

HD size too small, check jumpers etc, this is a 16 GB SD card, I am using a MACbook and at best the card has 1.5GB in pics, so "too small" etc is a mystery

HILFE!!!

M
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 12.14.56 PM.png (126.34 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

Do you know, what file system did you use on your flash drive?
As long as your flash drive is not recognized correctly, you can't access or recover any data.
Also it's depend on, that you stick is not electronically or physically damaged.
I'm not as much an apple tech savvy, but there are some procedures, circulating among the internet.
For example, to use diskpart on a windows PC.
Do you have a windows pc available?
It's only intended to have a try to get your flash drive size back?
Instructions for a diagnose would follow.
Please don't format your flash drive, it would override your previous file system and the result would be an empty drive.
In this case you'd need datarecovery software.
But it would only be working, if you've got your disk size back.

Fiona

rdent8

#5 Post by rdent8 »

I was using the 64 bit, thought I had to because I have an 64 bit system. Downloaded the other version from the wiki.
It seems to have less options than the previous version before but the disk shows up different. I only found another unknown partition by choosing none
damaged file system, dunno what to do with this. I thought maybe to use the rebuilding option but seeing as how long that was going, it was going to take an week. So the problem had nothing to do with the geometry or space conflict found earlier. I'm probably missing something obvious, I'm bad at this sort of stuff as I said earlier.

rdent8

#6 Post by rdent8 »

I just need to know if there's anything else I can do or if i'm missing something. I never believed everything was gone off the drive, the good thing is this is the only program that was able to find files, just a lot is missing. It recovered the files from the drive up to a point, in the exact places I had them in, then at the end there is just random files. Most of the folders are missing as well
These are music folders that were numbered f1 to f49. Testdisk recovered f26 to f49. Many other folders are missing too, so Testdisk recovered some folders, All of my files up to a point later on when I scroll down and find many missing, and Photorec found other files from sys 72, 74, and the unknown partition. There's just a huge section of files missing. I thought this was an conflict or size issue, why I posted the previous screenshots. Also this message appears when I start the laptop.
And sometimes I do have to replug the drive back in for the partition to show up as none in testdisk, where I can see the files.

rdent8

#7 Post by rdent8 »

Never tried this yet, on the physical disk on the 64 version, after selecting intel/pc, after I analyze it gives me the option to load an backup which I did and this shows
It lets me change the type, the structure is ok when I set sys 72 or 74 to D but I don't know if that deletes it, I did recover files from those with photorec. Also I senn these same netware and sys partitions bought up in other threads aound the web when these problems are bought up, with the exact same numbers as well. Still confused on all of this.