Trying to restore partition and now the whole drive is gone

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
brawly15

Trying to restore partition and now the whole drive is gone

#1 Post by brawly15 »

I have a dell studio 1537 that I have a triple boot setup on. I have windows vista ona primary partion then an extended partion with ubuntu 12.04 and kali linux along with a small swap partion.

Recently while trying to copy files from a USB device to my laptop the partition with ubuntu on it was copied over. Using gparted live and a guide I found I attempted to restore it using testdisk but somehow something went horribly wrong, The entire drive of my laptop is now empty. After having that happen I am nervouse to say the least to try any sort of recovery without first getting some advice. I would like to be able to restore everything to how it was but if thats not possible so be it. At a bare minimum though I would like to get the vista partition restored and some photos that were on ubuntu.

If anyone can help me at all I would be extremly greatful. Thanks

brawly15

Re: Trying to restore partition and now the whole drive is g

#2 Post by brawly15 »

Does anyone have any advice? Im hitting brick wall after brick wall with everything Im trying.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Trying to restore partition and now the whole drive is g

#3 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, Analyse, Quick Search. If some partitions aren't listed, choose Deeper Search.
When the scan is done, use the arrow keys to switch the partition you want to keep to *(bootable), P(rimary) or L(ogical).
Once it's ok, go on next screen, all your partition should be listed, choose Write, confirm, Quit and reboot