Help! I don't know what to do Next???

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Snowleopard28

Help! I don't know what to do Next???

#1 Post by Snowleopard28 »

Hello,

I've been trying for a day to recover partitions on a Samsung 1 TB drive. This was installed in my laptop until I upgraded to a Seagate SSHD drive. I took the Samsung and put it in an enclosure. I had it hooked to my laptop when I started having problems with a USB driver, so it got disconnected without using safe disconnect. When I connected it again, I got the format pop message. Anyway, after many hours of searching I found Testdisk. When I analyze the disk using Testdisk the 4 partitions show labeled "D". If I check the files of all of them, I find none in the first 2 but in the 3 one the folders and files I really want to recover are there. The last one also show folders a files. In my first attempt to "write", I was able to restore the ones in the 4 partition. But the others are blank drives in my computer. I was going to try again but this time I did a deepscan and here is the info in the screen shot;
I don't know what to do Next???

Snowleopard

Snowleopard28

Re: Help! I don't know what to do Next???

#2 Post by Snowleopard28 »

Update:
I was able to copy some files from the one partition that I really would like to restore.This one:Image These images are from during the deepscan:ImageImage Here are 2 S.M.A.R.T. images for that drive from different programs. I already knew about the current sector pending count. That was one of the reasons why I replace the drive.
ImageImage

Is there a way to restore at least the one partition that shows the files? If yes, how?

I'd be thankful for any help.
Snowleopard

Fiona

#3 Post by Fiona »

I was able to copy some files from the one partition that I really would like to restore.
Why did you not copy all data off of your partition?
Might be a good idea to copy/backup your data firrst!
Did you get read errors?

Fiona

Snowleopard28

#4 Post by Snowleopard28 »

I didn't get any read errors from one folder but I did get 5 from another. The reason I only copied a few, is because I don't have a large enough drive to hold a full copy and I can't buy one right now.