Partition Recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
photopcguy

Partition Recovery

#1 Post by photopcguy »

I have a 4TB HD formatted NTFS with a single Partition with 400k images in an external enclosure connected eSata or USB 3 to W8.1 machines. About every 6 months it reverts back to RAW. I can see all the folders and files with Testdisk. Is there a easy way with Testdisk to convert it back to NTFS and save all the files in place. It takes about 8 hours to restore it from the backup.

zazzn

Re: Partition Recovery

#2 Post by zazzn »

Do you disconnect it inadvertently or not safely? if so this could be the cause, otherwise, it could be a driver issue with the intel matrix storage driver. How new is the machine does it have later then 10.1 of the intel storage matrix or newer (rapid storage technology) RST

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e ... uage=en_US

golimar

#3 Post by golimar »

You should try to avoid the problem instead of recovering the partition.
What does "it reverts back to RAW" mean?

photopcguy

#4 Post by photopcguy »

I only stop or remove the external drive when Windows 8.1 has been shut down normally and the computer has stopped running through the normal Windows shutdown. So I do not feel removing the drive is causing the problem. It is a 2009 Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 Motherboard GA-EP45-UD3P. I have run the Intel Driver Updater and it tells me the drivers are all up-to-date. The storage chipset is Intel P45 Express Chipset, an Intel ICH10R and a Gigabyte GBB36X Sata2 controller. Is the Matrix Storage Driver one of these?

photopcguy

#5 Post by photopcguy »

I have done more research on the Gigabyte MB GA-EP45-UD3P and noticed that the Gigabyte drivers only go up to Windows 7 64-bit. When I ran the Windows 8 hardware validation program, it past. So maybe I do have driver support issues for WIndow 8.1. So since it has a Intel ICH10R and a Gigabyte GBB36X Sata2 storage controller, maybe the Gigabyte GBB36X Sata2 Storage Controller does not have the right driver?

europanorama

#6 Post by europanorama »

Pls check MOBO-manual for hotswapping/HOTPLUG esata. One can remove drive(shot down ps first) without logging out. but the right driver must be installed and in cmos there must be set AHCI.
I messed up also an external drive by not knowing how to make the externalk drive visible the right way. one must understand the mechanisme. i am now using orico docking-station. hdds are laying flat. it has usb 3.0 and esata.
with wd-enclosure (mybookhome) one had to make usb-recognition first before going esata.
with esata i can now plug drive after pc booted up. if data is not shown cmos-setting is not correct and/or driver is not installed the right way. in my case its the raid-driver.
Until now i could not make the external drive running again. only backup was possible. videofiles cannot be recovered.