Partition recovery in order to get back lost data?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
holly

Partition recovery in order to get back lost data?

#1 Post by holly »

I accidentally reformatted a WD My passport 1TB drive to a FAT32 33GB drive.

I ran testdisk and I am not clear about what to do now. The image below contains the files that testdisk created on the drive.

I have read the examples and threads in this forum but I am still confused. I used Recuva to recover about 128GB of files to another drive. But I really want to understand how test disk works. Could someone please explain to me how to use test disk to create a partition on this drive and then recover the lost files? I think that is what needs to be done.

Thanks.

europanorama

Re: Partition recovery in order to get back lost data?

#2 Post by europanorama »

testdisk-backup
When you see p= show files(or similar) just hit "p" when you have found folder.go up and down with arrow. then go back to location where to backup/recover. set backup-folder. you will then see partition-letter. open/show the folder where you will backup on right side of testdisk-window. then after every hit of p one can see the backed up folders.
if you dont see "p", go back or quit or/and start all over again. no need to wait to the end of deap scan. stop when the "partitions" you have seen the first time will be shown again. beforehand you should have taken a screenshot and printed it out. not easy to remember what was shown.
if some data cannot be recovered in testdisk but they are shown use knoppix-live-cd.
I could recover much more-massive amount of data- more than with testdisk.