TestDisk Can Not Recover Partition

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
chalupabatman

TestDisk Can Not Recover Partition

#1 Post by chalupabatman »

Can someone help me on what to do to recover this partition? This is the output I get when I ran the deep scan on testdisk. This is an external 230GB SATA drive.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (12.46 KiB) Viewed 4821 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: TestDisk Can Not Recover Partition

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Press Continue...

chalupabatman

#3 Post by chalupabatman »

It then asks me to build the partition...I don't know how to build it....

This is what I get when I press next. I have no backup to load from, and if I try to add, IDK what the start & end should be, and I DO NOT want to loose the data.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (12.36 KiB) Viewed 4801 times

europanorama

#4 Post by europanorama »

enter to continue until you see P= files
then press P and backup-process could start. if no P-files is visible and no continue left simply quit. if one is doing deaper search(i would do it completely) if no partitons are found to recover. then you will see what has been found.
later when coming back and quick search is done these findings will be listed very quickly. no need for another long deap search. make a screetshot and print it out to kow the situation.
If multiple partitions are shown, check each of them for data by pressing P when its marked.
Maybe would be good to have a detailed instruction. not easy to understand the process.
i would open the directory where one will backup data, so one can see that it will be done after each press of C or c.
I was succesfull using "c" to backup folders.

europanorama

#5 Post by europanorama »

I have found the solution inside this forum in german section: he was using linux.
http://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/2tb- ... t4319.html
I usd knoppix-live-dvd. data is visible, can be recovered even if testdisk cannot do. Could recover also videodata, but not all.

chalupabatman

#6 Post by chalupabatman »

europanorama wrote:enter to continue until you see P= files
then press P and backup-process could start. if no P-files is visible and no continue left simply quit. if one is doing deaper search(i would do it completely) if no partitons are found to recover. then you will see what has been found.
later when coming back and quick search is done these findings will be listed very quickly. no need for another long deap search. make a screetshot and print it out to kow the situation.
If multiple partitions are shown, check each of them for data by pressing P when its marked.
Maybe would be good to have a detailed instruction. not easy to understand the process.
i would open the directory where one will backup data, so one can see that it will be done after each press of C or c.
I was succesfull using "c" to backup folders.
After I do a deep scan i again get a message that the partition is damaged and can not be recovered, well I hit enter, and I then get this message
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.98 KiB) Viewed 4784 times

chalupabatman

#7 Post by chalupabatman »

europanorama wrote:I have found the solution inside this forum in german section: he was using linux.
http://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/2tb- ... t4319.html
I usd knoppix-live-dvd. data is visible, can be recovered even if testdisk cannot do. Could recover also videodata, but not all.
I don't see how that is pertinent to my situation?

europanorama

#8 Post by europanorama »

Yes the files must first be visible. Then, if not all can be recovered/backed up with testdisk knoppix is the other way to recover more.
did you scan with testdiskwin?
what does partition magic say when starting. dont do anything further with any partition manager. Wait for help here.
i didnt have the same problem like you.
did you already try knoppix? a working boot-drive must be there for backing up.

chalupabatman

#9 Post by chalupabatman »

It's never showing my files using the testdisk_win scan method

I haven't used partition magic?? I have not tried knoppix either?

europanorama

#10 Post by europanorama »

Why do you ask?
Try knoppix live dvd and check filemanager. lower left side when dvd has loaded. just to check if data are shown.