Recovery of partitions on Lenovo Laptop

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jonasbp2011

Recovery of partitions on Lenovo Laptop

#1 Post by jonasbp2011 »

Hello there!

So earlier today I had my partition table spas out on me and I wasn't able to restore it. Although with TestDisk I am partially able to.

However the issue I am having is that TestDisk only allows for 3 primary partitions and 1 primary boot partition and I have 8 partitions.

In the link below there are a picture of a very similar partition table and a little below are there a description of the individual partitions.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-a ... -p/1153169

I have the following partitions on my drive:

Code: Select all

Formatting:
Type - [Name] - (Details - Label on picture)
HPFS - NTFS - [WINRE_DRV] -(previously not visible from within Windows -  Labelled as GPT (Recovery Partition))
FAT32 - [SYSTEM_DRV] - (Previously not visible from within Windows - Labelled as GPT (EFI System partition))
FAT32 - [LRS_ESP] - (Previously not visible from within Windows - Labelled as GPT)
HPFS - NTFS - [Windows8_OS] - (Previously visible from within Windows as the C drive - Labelled as GPT (Data Partition))
HPFS - NTFS - blank - (128MB MSR partition - Labelled as GPT (Reserved Partition))
HPFS - NTFS - [More Backup] - (Manually created partition with Disk Manager in Windows 8, visible from within windows - Labelled as GPT (Data Partition))
HPFS - NTFS - [Backup] - (Previously named LENOVO, renamed to Backup, came preconfigured, visible from within windows - Labelled as GPT (Data Partition))
HPFS - NTFS - [PBR_DRV] - (Previously not visible from within Windows - Previous type unknown)
Hope anybody can help me since I was planning on sending it to repair soon, but I fear they might not accept it in a condition where several of the partitions are missing, and as mentioned before I can't figure out a way to change the characteristics of more partitions (and therefore I am missing my two backup partitions).

I can gladly provide more info if needed, thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT:
It just came to my mind that the blank partition is in fact blank, and nothing is stored on there, so that's one less problem..

Fiona

Re: Recovery of partitions on Lenovo Laptop

#2 Post by Fiona »

3 partitions and 1 extended partition for locical partitions should be only related to Intel-MBR
You can determine your disk type either GPT or Intel MBR using your windows disk management console and right click into that little square at the left side.
If you see something like convert to MBR your disk should be GPT and if something appears like convert to GPT your disk is an Intel-MBR disk.
Info might be grayed out if your disk contain any partition and can be ignored.
Info are intended for diagnosing purposes only.
I'd need info running testdisk Analyse to judge your current situation.
Can you copy and paste the content of your testdisk.log here?

Fiona