Need some directions on file copying

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Zumba

Need some directions on file copying

#1 Post by Zumba »

Hi,

To make long story short - I recovered Win7 from the hidden partition on a dual boot laptop (Win + Linux). As a result, my dedicated /home and swap partitions (that belonged to the extended partition) are now seen by the OS as one free space (figure 1 from the testdisk showing current partition). Using testdisk (under Windows 7) I easily find the both, can access files, but somehow I get an error if I try to remap the disk and recover the lost partitions (figure 2). Does anyone know what the problem might be? I really appreciate any input.

If nothing works, I thought I could copy the files from the lost /home to an external drive, then manually re-format free space into swap and /home and finally return the files back. But somehow testdisk (again, under Windows 7) does not suggest the external hard drive for copying, though it reports this disk in the very beginning and the disk is accessible for viewing files on it. Maybe the problem is that it is formatted in ext4 file system to preserve the file attributes, because I (if I remember it correctly) was able to use an external NTFS volume for file copy.
What would you suggest to do in this situation?

Thank you!

UPD. I am so sorry - I forgot to attachments yesterday, but since the posts are pre-moderated I could not edit mine immediately. So here are the screenshots.
Log file:
http://pastebin.com/S1N9XqPm
Attachments
Current partition table - 3 primary + 1 extended with only 1 logical NTFS inside. There used to be 3 logical partitions, but swap and /home are seen as free space now.
Current partition table - 3 primary + 1 extended with only 1 logical NTFS inside. There used to be 3 logical partitions, but swap and /home are seen as free space now.
Testdisk3.png (11.59 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
Is there a problem of overlapping recovery and system NTFS partitions?
Is there a problem of overlapping recovery and system NTFS partitions?
Testdisk4.png (13.63 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

Zumba

Re: Need some directions on file copying

#2 Post by Zumba »

Sorry, I've just noticed that the sizes (more exactly, the coordinates of the ends) of recovery FAT32 partitions on the first screenshot and the second are different. My understanding was that the list after quick search should include the both existing and lost/deleted partitions and therefore, the only FAT32 (which had never been touched) should be the same everywhere. Why do the results before and after quick search differ for this partition?
The same applies to the first Linux partition, which limits are different before and after doing quick search...