Blew up raid 0 on two 4tb drives

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
acester

Blew up raid 0 on two 4tb drives

#1 Post by acester »

So, how about that Windows 10? I decided I would go ahead and switch to Windows 10, but before I did I wanted to update my bios just in case. I believe what ended up happening was I updated the bios and all the values went to default - the sata mode went to AHCI. When I booted up, my two 4tb drives are showing as not formatted in My Computer. I can see them both separately and cannot access either one. I switched the sata back to raid but it hasn't changed anything.

I was searching and came across testdisk, seems like a handy tool. I've never used it before and just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing.

My motherboard is MSI Z87-G43 GAMING, and I am using it's included raid controller, Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

I am currently running a quick analysis on both drives individually but I am not sure if that is the correct thing to start with. If I load up test disk, this is what I see:

The drives in question are the two 4000 GB ones. But there is also drive D which I am assuming is original raid partition? How should I go about recovering?

The data on these drives is not incredibly important, nothing I can't replace. I'd like to try and recover it though if possible. And, why raid 0? Because. lol. I had never set up a raid before and figured if I lost it then no big deal.

Thanks!

Fiona

Re: Blew up raid 0 on two 4tb drives

#2 Post by Fiona »

Can you recreate your RAID0 exactly like before.
You shouldn't initialize your RAID0 nor create any partition and format it.
TestDisk can Search for your missed partition and recover them.
At least, when your partition would be found and your data are lsited, you can copy them to another healthy disk or partition.
I assume that your disk has been a GPT Disk?

Fiona

acester

Re: Blew up raid 0 on two 4tb drives

#3 Post by acester »

Fiona wrote:Can you recreate your RAID0 exactly like before.
You shouldn't initialize your RAID0 nor create any partition and format it.
TestDisk can Search for your missed partition and recover them.
At least, when your partition would be found and your data are lsited, you can copy them to another healthy disk or partition.
I assume that your disk has been a GPT Disk?

Fiona
Hello Fiona, thank you for your help!

I have did as you suggested and have had success recovering the partition. I set the raid up exactly as before, then ran diskpart again and it detected it as a GPT disk. I was able to restore the partition and all the data is there! Thank you :D