PVR external hard drive partition fix?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Windrider6

PVR external hard drive partition fix?

#1 Post by Windrider6 »

I'm begging for expert help! I don't want to lose my 177 recordings of TV shows and movies.

I need to fix the partition on a 2TB external hard drive I'm using with an Arris HDPVR 630 (Canadian Shaw satellite TV).

The drive is only a few months old and has been working great with the PVR until I did something incredibly stupid.

I disconnected the external HD from the PVR and connected it to my Windows computer. I just wanted to take a look. Before I could think, I had "initialized" the drive in Windows. At that point I realized how stupid I am, and stopped.

I reconnected the external HD to the Arris HDPVR 630, and it now says it needs to format the drive to use it.

So the 177 recordings are still there, but the partition needs to be fixed. I don't know what file system the HDPVR 630 uses.

I downloaded and burned "SystemRescueCD" to a CD then booted from it. At the moment I've got TestDisk scanning the drive, but it looks like it's going to take a very long time.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: PVR external hard drive partition fix?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I don't know the filesystem used on your PVR.
You can always try PhotoRec to see if it recovers your videos.