How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 20 May 2012, 11:53
I ran photorec to rescue files from my destroeyed XFS partition.
After 2h it crashed and I got an error message (GUI message box), that it crashed unexpected.
In the terminal was after that only the prompt:
Code: Select all
PhotoRec 6.13, Data Recovery Utility, November 2011
Christophe GRENIER <email@example.com>
Disk /dev/mapper/r5 - 3994 GB / 3719 GiB (RO)
Partition Start End Size in sectors
P XFS 4 0 0 1 3506436087 0 1 7801403384
Pass 1 - Reading sector 388834565/7801403384, 81891 files found
Elapsed time 1h46m16s - Estimated time to completion 33h45m49
txt: 51405 recovered
jpg: 13541 recovered
exe: 5382 recovered
ogg: 2316 recovered
tx?: 1679 recovered
bmp: 1481 recovered
cab: 1134 recovered
png: 803 recovered
class: 532 recovered
zip: 466 recovered
others: 3152 recovered
I tried again, with the same resiult after only 1h 46m. Is there a possibility to let the program start / continue from this position?
Thank you! I'm writing on a work for my studies and my last backup is a week old.
- Posts: 2835
- Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 17:19
- Location: Ludwigsburg/Stuttgart - Germany
//I assume one thread might be Ok. It might be possible that I move it to the PhotoRec-Forum.
It's recommended to use PhotoRec 6.14-32bit.
Normally PhotoRec saves your session.
After next start, PhotoRec should displays a message, "do you want to continue your previous session?
Often file types are packed into a file family package.
Please disable only file types where you don't need.