Spanned Disk (Windows) Recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
someonesuspicious

Spanned Disk (Windows) Recovery

#1 Post by someonesuspicious »

Hey testdisk forum,

I've used testdisk in the past and it's always been easy and extremely helpful, but my current situation seems more complex. So I have two 1TB HDDs in a RAID0 managed by my ASUS Motherboard's BIOS. This 2TB "disk" was included as the start of a 6TB Spanned partition (made in Windows 10) that spanned from this "disk" across two other (non-raid) disks.

The problem occurrred when I (foolishly) updated my BIOS and, of course, it broke my RAID settings. After realizing my error, I followed the internet's advice and recreated the RAID0 on those two disks. Testdisk can find the partition on the recreated raid disk, but it thinks the disk is too small (see pic) because it sees the partition as stretching 6TB on a 2TB disk. Photorec seems to work, but I only have 2TB available on another hard drive so I will have to do each drive individually which will take about a week or two by current speeds.

Is there some way I can just tell testdisk to ignore the problem and write the partition anyways? Or perhaps some other software that can do what I need?

Cheers,
Jordan
Attachments
fs too large.PNG
fs too large.PNG (27.69 KiB) Viewed 1375 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Spanned Disk (Windows) Recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

PhysicalDrive1 is a single disk, a member of the Raid array. There should be a 6TB device, select it.