Way too slow to recover a missing GPT partition???

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cokie69

Way too slow to recover a missing GPT partition???

#1 Post by cokie69 »

Am I doing something wrong???

I had a 3Tb almost full and perfectly working GPT NTFS Windows 7 formatted hard disk in an external SATA enclosure. I decided to change the letter of the unit and suddenly the partition appears RAW. In case it matters, the BIOS is not EFI (as per the choice in TestDisk menu)

I'm running TestDisk to recover the partition... choose the partition type as EFI GPT and then Analyze.... and it starts the procedure: 364000 sectors to go, 1 sector per second (give or take)... that's 67 HOURS!!!! Is this normal?

Excuse my naivity but I though that, providing the disk is not damaged (which it doesn't look that's the case as per the above explanation on how it came to be RAW), it'd be a matter of looking at the master boot record (or whatever name it has in GPT) and/or its backup --in the past MBRs had an automatic backup made at the end of the disk, didn't they?-- and once found, at least the backup, it'd show that a previous partition existed and offered to rewrite the MBR... that's a few minutes tops, isn't it? How come it's analyzing the 364000 sectors???

Thanks

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Way too slow to recover a missing GPT partition???

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If the partition is listed as raw, no need to search for a lost partition.
Run TestDisk, select the physicaldisk, EFI GPT, Advanced, select the partition, Boot,
If available, choose BackupBS and confirm
Otherwise, choose RebuildBS, List. If you can see your files, choose Write and confirm.
Quit and restart your computer.

cokie69

Re: Way too slow to recover a missing GPT partition???

#3 Post by cokie69 »

As I suspected... a five minute procedure... MERCI cgrenier, you saved me wasting hours of tediously searching partitions... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: